New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

10.1/ 10.2 / 10.3 on an iMac G3??

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

fabio

hi

which system is the best for an iMac G3?

actually i dont know the system spec like Mhz/ram, but i'm going to look.

which one does need the less spec to work??
QUOTE Thanks
technologist

technologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)

Every iMac, from the original to the latest G5, can run Mac OS X 10.3 Panther.

So far, every version of OS X has been faster than the previous (10.3 is faster than 10.2 which was faster than 10.1...) so I would recommend Panther for best performance.

Note that any version of OS X requires at least 128MB of memory just to boot. In reality, 256MB is a more realistic minimum.
QUOTE Thanks
Badger

I just did a service call on a Rev A (233mhz) model that was running 10.2.6 without problems. It had 160mg of RAM and the full 6 mg of VRAM. It did seem slow in some areas but not substantially slower than OS 9 on my 333mhz Rev D. The drawbacks were that it had the original 4gb hard disk and had only about 750 mg available after the two systems were installed and with only 6 mg of VRAM it doesn't like high video loads. I think it would benefit from more RAM (it maxes out at 256 mgs on this model) and a bigger HD but it's hard to justify the costs involved.
Badger
QUOTE Thanks
Padawan

Padawan has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 14" iBook G3 900/640/40 _ _ Power Macintosh G3 All-In-One 315/768/20 _ _ 20 GB iPod

Quote:
Originally Posted by technologist
So far, every version of OS X has been faster than the previous (10.3 is faster than 10.2 which was faster than 10.1...) so I would recommend Panther for best performance.
I had always believed that Panther (10.3) was faster than Jaguar (10.2), but it was never so obvious as when I just upgraded my Beige G3 AIO from Jaguar to Panther. The specs on my AIO are very similar to that of an older iMac, and I noticed an immediate improvement in overall "speediness" after the upgrade. I would definitely suggest 10.3 if that is an option for you.

~ Support the LANCE ARMSTRONG FOUNDATION -- LAF.org ~

Do you drive a Civic, Del Sol, or Integra & want more power & tighter steering feel? Click here for my inexpensive DIY Power-Steering Removal Kits.
QUOTE Thanks
SeriousSam

I run 10.3 on a 500mhz iMac, with 196 of ram, once loaded its fine - but Im going to up the ram anyways
QUOTE Thanks
missyvortex

Ofcourse its always vital to upgrade firmware otherwise you could end up with a dead iMac.
I think it usually prompts about this when installing Os x but people have managed to not do it and "kill their machine" . Although it is fixable ofcourse, though better not to have to.
QUOTE Thanks
pphking

pphking is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iBook 1.33 Ghz, 768 RAM

As you can see from my specs , I run an iMac Bondi Blue (G3) 233 Mhz -256MB RAM -80GB HD with Panther (OS X 10.3.5).

I would advise everybody with a G3 to go to Panther it's absolutely fantastic to work on ! and runs with no problem.

I could use more RAM for Adobe CS . But it's still very usable even at 256 MB .

Hope this helps
Paul.
:mac:
QUOTE Thanks
SuperNova

Quote:
Originally Posted by pphking
As you can see from my specs , I run an iMac Bondi Blue (G3) 233 Mhz -256MB RAM -80GB HD with Panther (OS X 10.3.5).

I would advise everybody with a G3 to go to Panther it's absolutely fantastic to work on ! and runs with no problem.

I could use more RAM for Adobe CS . But it's still very usable even at 256 MB .

Hope this helps
Paul.
:mac:

Hi,
I'm trying to install OS 10.3.5 on my iMac G3, however, it never sees the disc and refuses to boot from it. Could it be because it is an install that came with my iMac G5?
Does someone know how to bypass this?
Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
rman

rman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 2 x 3.0GHz Quad-Core, 6GB OS X 10.6.8 | 15in MacBook Pro 2.2GHz OS X 10.6.8 | 64GB iPad 2 WiFi

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperNova
Hi,
I'm trying to install OS 10.3.5 on my iMac G3, however, it never sees the disc and refuses to boot from it. Could it be because it is an install that came with my iMac G5?
Thanks
You would be better off, in getting a full install disk of panther.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, It's about learning to dance in the rain!
QUOTE Thanks
pphking

I agree that a full version of Panther would probably be better. That is what i used.
I would also make sure that your firmware is up to date.

Hope this helps
Paul
QUOTE Thanks
SuperNova

Quote:
Originally Posted by pphking
I agree that a full version of Panther would probably be better. That is what i used.
I would also make sure that your firmware is up to date.

Hope this helps
Paul
I also agree that a full version would be better, but I'm broke *laughs*.
I updated the firmware to version 4.1.9, which is, as I understand, needed to install 10.2, but it still doesn't read my Panther install discs.
Thanks again.

-- I've tried zapping the PRAM and quickly tried to insert the CD and boot from it, but nada. Even if it IS because it is a Panther CD from a G5, shouldn't the G3 be able to see it at all? Unless it's because Panther comes on DVD and the iMac doesn't have a DVD drive?? *sighs*
QUOTE Thanks
Padawan

Padawan has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 14" iBook G3 900/640/40 _ _ Power Macintosh G3 All-In-One 315/768/20 _ _ 20 GB iPod

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperNova
Hi,
Thanks
Does your iMac have a DVD-ROM, or just a CD-ROM drive? Also, a person in another thread attempted to install Panther from iMac G5 disks on an otherwise supported machine, but was unsuccessful. It's possible that Apple has somehow made the iMac G5 disks incompatible with other machines in an attempt to prevent just what you're trying to do.

~ Support the LANCE ARMSTRONG FOUNDATION -- LAF.org ~

Do you drive a Civic, Del Sol, or Integra & want more power & tighter steering feel? Click here for my inexpensive DIY Power-Steering Removal Kits.
QUOTE Thanks
SuperNova

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padawan
Does your iMac have a DVD-ROM, or just a CD-ROM drive? Also, a person in another thread attempted to install Panther from iMac G5 disks on an otherwise supported machine, but was unsuccessful. It's possible that Apple has somehow made the iMac G5 disks incompatible with other machines in an attempt to prevent just what you're trying to do.
I guess I took for granted that my G5 has a DVD burner and that not all Macs can read DVDs, but Panther does in fact come on DVD and I didn't even check. The iMac doesn't come equipped with a DVD drive and, obviously, can't read the discs :closed:

As this is the case, Im assuming the other people who have managed to install Panther on their G3 iMacs have the special edition ones or have upgraded to DVD drives.

Also, I agree that using installation discs from another computer aren't putting the odds in my favor.
QUOTE Thanks
pphking

Sorry I forgot to mention that I used a CD version of Panther to install on My G3 iMac.

Supernova if you contact me offlist I maybe able to help you out.
Hope this helps
Paul
QUOTE Thanks
SuperNova

Hi Paul,

Now I have a new problem. I brought in a copy of Panther on CD this time, not the originals but a copy. When I click on 'Install OS X', the computer reboots like normal, except that I get a white Open Firmware screen with the options to boot and shut down that I have to type in. This has got to be because it's a copy, right? I've updated my firmware to version 4.1.9 so I doubt that's the problem.

Sorry to keep pestering you .
Nova
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Has anyone tried playing Halo on their Mac Mini?? | MINI: RAM is more important right? »