Question PowerMac vs. iMac
    Hey. I was planning on buying an apple computer for the uses of digital movie editing with probably Final Cut Express and maybe something else. I would also do some Photoshop probably. Would an iMac G5 do the job (I was considering 20'' maybe) or should I just go for the PowerMac G5?

Thanks a alot!

kinda on the same road you are.. i have a powerbook G4 and on saturday im either gonna buy the new 23 inch monitor a IMAC G5 or save for like a 2.5 powermac.. its a hard deceision haha Cuase i do the same thing video editing recording photoshop illistrator flashh all that stuff<3 anyone?

Luxemburg, Europe
    PowerMac G5 Dual 2GHz (June 2004), 2.5GB, Airport, black 5G iPod 30GB, white MacBook 2.0 2GB
    Well, the PowerMac will easily beat the iMac, it's performance is much better, even if both use a G5.
    Nevertheless the iMac is powerful enough to do video editing, so your choice should be based on two things:
    1. Do you really need the best available performance?
    2. How much money can you spend.

The PowerMac is by far more expensive (because you'll need an additional screen) but a better performer too...

That's why Apple has it's consumer hardware (i...) and professional hardware (Power...)

I do really think that the iMac G5 is VERY good value, with very good perfromance as well. I would think it would be alot faster than a Powerbook.

Get the new Imac, it powerfull it looks cool and it's brand spanking new!!!!

Thread Information