Thread: Nu here, I have A few Questions
09-02-2004, 11:58 AM #1TripStaGuestNu here, I have A few Questions
Hi, Could someone help me.
I have an old Beige G3 233. 256Ram 40Gig no usb.
1. Can I install OSx?
2. Can I install any usb card?
3. Is there a way of making my processor faster by changing jumper settings? Or can I buy a faster processor?
4. If I can buy a faster processor, Whats the fastest?
I have been using this machine for 6 years now as the core computer in my studio. I will update to G5 at some point, but until then, any advice would be great.
Thanks, I know these are silly questions, that everyone probably already knows.....
09-02-2004, 12:09 PM #2
- Member Since
- Dec 24, 2002
- Los Angeles, California
- 2 x 3.0GHz Quad-Core, 6GB OS X 10.6.8 | 15in MacBook Pro 2.2GHz OS X 10.6.8 | 64GB iPad 2 WiFi
I also have a beige G3 233Mhz 384MB 40Gb. I install a firewire/usb pci card. It run OS X 10.1.5 with not problem. I have not tried to upgrade the OS to any thing later. With the speed of the process I don't think it will work any better than it does now. You can go to Accelerate your Mac, they should be able to suggest ways to upgrade your G3.Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, It's about learning to dance in the rain!
09-02-2004, 12:23 PM #3TripStaGuest
Does OSx improve the computers performance or make it slower?
- I ask because ive noticed Windows XP improves in speed of older pcs over windows 98-
09-02-2004, 12:24 PM #4BadgerGuest
09-02-2004, 12:37 PM #5TripStaGuest
You guys are fast, thanks.
Is overclocking dangerous, or complicated to do?
09-02-2004, 12:45 PM #6
I think 10.1.x is likely the highest for 233. 10.2.8 is the highest I have seen on a G3 333
09-02-2004, 01:50 PM #7
- Member Since
- Jul 21, 2003
- Coruscant, Galactic Republic
- 14" iBook G3 900/640/40 _ _ Power Macintosh G3 All-In-One 315/768/20 _ _ 20 GB iPod
Send me a PM. I have a similar machine, and I've been working at upgrading it as well. I can give you some help and some first-hand experience.
To answer your questions though:
3. You can overclock it via the jumpers for free (which I've done very successfully), and there are also a number of processor upgrades.
4. I believe the fastest currently available upgrade is 1Ghz G4.
Users Browsing this Thread
There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)
By bscrabble in forum Switcher HangoutReplies: 4Last Post: 03-29-2013, 06:43 AM
By bscrabble in forum Apple DesktopsReplies: 0Last Post: 03-28-2013, 09:40 AM
By tennis100 in forum Switcher HangoutReplies: 6Last Post: 10-27-2011, 08:30 PM
By hookbill in forum OS X - Operating SystemReplies: 3Last Post: 01-20-2009, 10:19 AM
By Doug b in forum Images, Graphic Design, and Digital PhotographyReplies: 3Last Post: 10-10-2008, 10:24 AM