New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

Graphics Card?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

mauly

Is it replacable. also, can you personally increase HD and RAM? or do you have to buy it to your standard when ordering the iMac from apple? :confused:
QUOTE Thanks
Aptmunich

Aptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2

You can add RAM yourself, and i'm guessing you can exchange the hard drive as well.
But it's an Serial-ATA connector, so you can't just stick an old one you have lying around in there.

I'd buy it built-to-order from apple, increase the hdd size and then later add ram yourself (ram's usually cheaper from non-apple retailers)
QUOTE Thanks
Animatronica

If it were me...I would just get an AP and BT as BTO options and leave the rest stock. You can get an upgraded HD and RAM at a later date in time for MUCH cheaper. As far as the GPU goes...maybe apple will have a replacement GPU program..where you send them the Imac and they replace it for a fee.

C-ya
QUOTE Thanks
Avalon

Avalon is just really niceAvalon is just really niceAvalon is just really niceAvalon is just really nice
Mac Specs: PowerMac G5 Dual 2GHz (June 2004), 2.5GB, Airport, black 5G iPod 30GB, white MacBook 2.0 2GB

The graphics card is part of the motherboard, so it's not replaceable.

And no, Apple would not replace the GPU, as GPUs usually are not compatible between each other. Anyway, I never heard of any company replacing GPUs (Graphic Processing Unit, it's only the Graphic processor, without the rest of the video card)... :confused:
QUOTE Thanks
Animatronica

You Misunderstood me Avalon. When I say GPU..I mean teh whole Graphics Card..not just the GPU. Sorry for the confusion.

C-ya
QUOTE Thanks
Orange

He didn't misunderstand you... you explained wrong.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Buying a New G5... | Buying a G5 for my vidoe class »