New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

Power Mac - MAC G5 fan problems ((temperature sensor)

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

hawkerman

hawkerman is on a distinguished road

Greetings
I have a MAC G5 (dual 2 GHZ). Some time ago all the fans began to race and be constantly going at maximum speed. I had a technician look at it and reported the following:
Unable to thermal calibrate processors
ASD test is reporting AGP error only
Swapped AGP card - no change - same error

Conclusion is the sensor in the bottom case and the case itself needs to be changed @ $825.00 (Aus)

Is there a cheaper way to fix the problem?
Will having the fans going at max speed be harmful?
The machine runs OK but very noiset. I have built a wooden case around it with some insulation foam to deaden the noise which helps marginally.
QUOTE Thanks
bryphotoguy

bryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nice
Mac Specs: Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone

Where does all the heat go if this thing is wooden box with the insulation foam?

January 2008 Member of the Month
QUOTE Thanks
hawkerman

Its not really a box. The computer is under my desk so I have just put a wooden front on it with four large holes in it. The back of the desk does have openings for the heat to escape. There is not much room around the sides of the computer but front and back have enough room for air circulation. Touching the case is not hot only very slightly warm. Mind you in Melbourne Australia todau we are at 42 degrees which is about 110.
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4 and OS X.10

I would suggest getting it out of the box and desk, particularly the way the weather has been the last few days down there.

There is quite a bit of discussion at various forums on the heat failings of G5's, sorry to tell you. Do a Google of G5 overheating and see what you come up with.

Maybe a PCI slot fan might help?

Here is one link on power boards overheating:-

http://forums.macosxhints.com/archiv...p/t-54505.html
QUOTE Thanks
hawkerman

Thanks for your comments.
I really don't think there is a problem with it overheating as all fans are going at maximumn speed. As mentioned I touch the case and front and neither are hot. The real issue is the fans and them going at contast maximumn sppeed. It is noisy.
I have had 2 technicians look at it and both agreed that having all 6 fans reving is not a problem other than the fans wearing out prematurely, in fact they said it probably kept it cooler than normal.

I found this and wandered if it may help
http://www.xlr8yourmac.com/G5/G5_drive_heat_tips.html

Any comments or advice would be greatly appreciated.
Kim
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute

Well if you don't think there is a problem, you have had it checked and the fans revving are not a problem where is the problem?
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

How is the machine doing - any improvement? The article you linked to does mention the problem of G5 excessive HDD heat and one reads in forums like that of HDD failing, USB and Firewire ports not working and logic boards frying.

Sometimes think new model computers are like new model motor cars - by the third model run everything is pretty sweet.
QUOTE Thanks
coach_z

coach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: i dont have no mac's

i assume you have ripped the sucker open and removed all dust from the fans and all the surrounding areas??? if not i highly suggest it....

also i dont know how good that box is for the heat because it sucks air from the front of the case and blows it out the back....if there is no fresh(aka cold) air coming from the front it is going to circulate hot air from the back to the front and simply be feeding hot air through your mac causing your fans to run constantly...

-chris

MoTM honor roll...
when?
i dont remember
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Air Bubbles Under Glass | Best cam for iChat and PhotoBooth?? »