New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

eMac - Locked Out of My eMac (not iMac)

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

aquaman

aquaman is on a distinguished road

I have a 5.5 year old eMac running OS 10.3 and the screen (CRT) is finally blown. When I turn on the computer there is a bright flash, a pop and then black. I think everything else is fine because I hear the HD chug when I try to log in. I just can't see anything. I am not too upset about this since it is 5.5 yrs old and I have since upgraded but I would like to get the data off the HD.

Here's the rub. It appears to only have a mini-DVI IN and my firewall is up so no filesharing, ssh, ftp, remote desktop, etc. I can't turn any of these services on because I can't see.

Are there any hotkeys or siteless steps to turn any services on? Are there other display options that I am not aware of? I have the OS disc. ANY!!! ideas are welcome. If not, I suppose I can just remove the HD and buy connections to mount it on a Linux box. Pity.

Thanks.
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4 and OS X.10

According to this Apple paper, the eMac connection to an external display is a mini VGA which requires a VGA display adapter.

Here is the topic:-

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=88428
QUOTE Thanks
aquaman

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryb2448 View Post
According to this Apple paper, the eMac connection to an external display is a mini VGA which requires a VGA display adapter.

Here is the topic:-

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=88428
There seems to be no way to win. I hooked up the mini-vga to a crt and the crt says that frequency output from my eMac is out of range and I need to try another resolution. Well I can't change the resolution because I don't have a freakin' monitor!!
QUOTE Thanks
technologist

technologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=58583
QUOTE Thanks
MacHeadCase

If you heard electrical noises just prior to the black-out, it could be the analog board that died. I had read somewhere that the eMacs, at least in the first generations, inherited the same analog boards from the old G3 iMacs and that some of them were weak.

Since the verification of the analog board is part of the eMac's startup process, it won't boot because one of its essential components doesn't respond. But let's hope I am wrong because getting the analog board changed can be quite expensive.
QUOTE Thanks
louishen

louishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver

What have you upgraded to, we don't know what your other mac is

if it is just the display that has fried you can make the emac a firewire disk and access it, assuming you have another mac to connect it to

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=58583
QUOTE Thanks
aquaman

This is very weird. I decided to power up from the install disc hoping that the eMac would boot from the DVD instead of the hard disk if it detected the installer. It didn't but all of a sudden my display came back. I have rebooted the stupid machine ten times trying to find a solution to the lack of display problem and it's not until after try all these things that the display rights whatever weird thing was going on. Thanks for the input. I am moving off this computer to not get trapped again.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Extra Internal Drive for Power Mac G5 | Need help iMac or Mac Pro »