New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

Power Mac - Server RAM vs. "normal" RAM

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Jeve Stobs

Jeve Stobs is on a distinguished road

First of all, I'm new to the forum, but have been lurking for a while. Nice to be here.

Now my question: I have a G4 867Mhz Quicksilver with 640 Megs of RAM (512 + 128). I want more RAM (PC 133). I found a stick of 512 on craigslist for $15 but it's out of a server. The only difference I can see is an extra chip on the stick and the fact that it's 64meg x 72 versus the normal RAMs 64megs x 64. WHat does this 64megs x 72 stuff mean? The voltage and pin count and everything else are the same, so can I use this and save 45 bucks, or if I buy this will I just be spending the 60 later anyway?

Here are the two

Recommended RAM: http://www.crucial.com/store/mpartsp...B60C2AA5CA7304

Craigslist RAM:http://www.stsi.net/StoreFrontProfil...40&i=234482111

Thanks!
QUOTE Thanks
louishen

louishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver

check the ram against this spec

http://www.everymac.com/systems/appl...g4_867_qs.html
QUOTE Thanks
Jeve Stobs

Voltage, pins, speed, everything matches up except the 64megs x 64 thing. I don't know what that part means. The IT guy here says what the heck try it and you're only out 15 bucks if it doesn't work. But I'm cheap!
QUOTE Thanks
D3v1L80Y

D3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook

RAM is RAM is RAM.
There is no 'PC' RAM, no 'Mac' RAM, no 'Server' RAM, no "normal" RAM. There is only RAM.
Sure it comes, in different specs and if it matches the specs for the machine you have, then get it.
If it doesn't, then don't.

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

QUOTE Thanks
Jeve Stobs

OK, thanks. I think I'll give it a try.

Does anyone know what the 64megs x 72 means?
QUOTE Thanks
Gaz

Gaz is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 24" iMac 2.8 GHz / Mac Mini 1.66 GHz

the 64megs x 72 is the width and depth of each module, it's mostly for the maths..

if you have 64 by 64, you times those together and divide by 8 to get your ram size.

if you have 64 by 72, you times those together and divide by 9 to get your ram size.

if crucial recommends 64 by 64 then get that, as i believe from the calculations that there is an extra module, so there is a good chance that 64 x 72 ram won't work.

24" iMac 2.8Ghz, 4GB RAM, 320GB HDD, 580GB EHDD, Firewave, 7.1 Sound System. Mac Mini 2.66GHz, 1GB RAM, 80GB HDD, 2.1 Sound System, 19" LCD Flat Screen Monitor, EyeTV with Miglia Mini. Apple TV 160GB.iPod Mini Blue 6GB
QUOTE Thanks
Jeve Stobs

I decided to pass on it. I appreciate the help. Thanks!
QUOTE Thanks
bryphotoguy

bryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nice
Mac Specs: Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone

Actually, server RAM wouldn't work. Server RAM has additional features not used by non-server type motherboards/ logicboards.

ECC - Error Correction Code. It will detect errors and try to fix them but only if the motherboard supports ECC. Most desktop computers do not support ECC.
Buffered/ Unbuffered - Most desktop motherboards are unbuffered. The data is sent to any RAM module. If the motherboard supports buffered RAM, it will send the data to one DIMM (or more if needed) but it will make full use of that DIMM before it uses a second or third.
Non-server RAM is actually 29% faster because it doesn't use any of these features.
Mac Pro uses RD-SDRAM. Each DIMM has a built-in chip that monitors data and configures each DIMM for optimization of output.

ECC RAM might work in not supported board. Buffered RAM won't work in unsupported boards. Because server RAM has ECC and it's also buffered, it will only work on a server board.

January 2008 Member of the Month
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« ! monitor 2 Computers | Imac core duo memory »