Specs:
    24" iMac, 2.8Ghz, 2Gig of ram, 500mb HD
    First Time Mac User With Question...
    Well I just received my first Mac and I'll never go back, I've been converted.

I purchased this machine for video and photo editing and I love it, very easy to use.

The only problem I have is not enough firewire ports. So I took the advice of a friend and purchased a Belkin firewire hub http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProdu...duct_Id=193393.
    Well in short I plug everything in and the computer isn't recognizing the hub. Do I need to do something to get it to work?

Thanks for any help.

Specs:
    iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, 256 GB SSD, 2 TB HDD, 8 GB RAM
    Silly question, but is it a powered hub? If not, you may not be able to plug in more than one or two devices and have it work. The packaging that came with it should provide some details on this.

If it is powered (and it really should be) have you plugged the power for the hub itself?

I have a powered Firewire hub and it works very well!
    My Macs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, Mac Pro 3.2 GHz, PowerMac G5 Quad 2.5 GHz, G4 Cube with 1.2 GHz Upgrade
    My iStuff: 64GB iPhone 5, 64GB iPad4, 30GB iPod Video, 16GB iPod Touch
    My OS': Mac OS X Lion, Mac OS X Snow Leopard, Mac OS X Tiger, Mac OS 9.2.2, openSUSE 10.3
    I was on the Mac-Forums honor roll for September 2007

Specs:
    Quote Originally Posted by mac57 View Post
    Silly question, but is it a powered hub? If not, you may not be able to plug in more than one or two devices and have it work. The packaging that came with it should provide some details on this.

If it is powered (and it really should be) have you plugged the power for the hub itself?

I have a powered Firewire hub and it works very well!
    Yes it is powered and the power is plugged in. There are no instructions with the firewire hub that I received.

Anybody else have any ideas? Is there a chance that the wire that came with the hub to connect the computer to the hub is faulty?

Thanks

Specs:
    Imac 27", i7 3.5GHz, 3TB Fusion drive, 32GB memory, macOS Sierra.
    Yes. It is known for Firewire cables to fail. See if you get another cable and give that a go. When you say it is powered, from your domestic 110v power through an adapter?

Specs:
    Quote Originally Posted by harryb2448 View Post
    Yes. It is known for Firewire cables to fail. See if you get another cable and give that a go. When you say it is powered, from your domestic 110v power through an adapter?
    Yes it's powered from an AC adapter.

thanks

Specs:
    Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone
    First off, welcome to the forums. Also, thanks for providing the link for the item in question.
    If you've tested a single FW400 item and it worked fine, the port is obviously good. If you can't get anything to connect, the port may be bad.
    A few things to try. Unplug everything, even the power cord. Wait 1 minute. Plug in everything, power it on and do a PRAM reset (Command (apple key), option, P, R). Hold all these keys down until it chimes a second time. Also, you have to do this before the Apple logo appears.
    Hopefully that fixes it.
    Also, trygoing to the apple icon in the top left of the screen and go to about this Mac. Click on More Info. It should bring up the System Profile window. There should be something on the left for FireWire. Click it. Does it show any registered devices or show the hub if it's connected?
    If any device connects and works without the hub, the hub is no good and needs to be replaced. It should work fine with OS X otherwise.

January 2008 Member of the Month

Specs:
    Thanks Bry.

My camera will connect to my computer just fine, but the hub doesn't pick up. I tried everything you suggested to no avail, so I returned the item to Amazon. If a new one doesn't work then I'm obviously doing something wrong.

I'll let you know how it turns out. On a lighter side Flight of the Conchords season 1 arrived yesterday, SCORE! On a down side I got Guitar Hero 3 yesterday and right as the first song was starting my 360 got the Ring of Death. It's the 3rd time I've had to send it in.

Thread Information