New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

mini - Upgraded mac mini ram - NO CHIME HELP!

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

bphoenix

bphoenix is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro 15" 2.2/120gb/2gb Santa Rosa - 20" Aluminum Apple Cinema Display

today i received 2x1gb ram for my mac mini that i purchased off ebay. I got everything apart and took out the old 2x512 ram and installed the 2x1gb ram, then put everything back together (I even watched like 5 videos on how to do it) I did everything very gental and did not force anything and made sure everything fit in the right spot. Now once i got it all back together i go to start it and there's chime or video, but the light turns on and i hear the normal sounds. Also when i put the old 2x512 back in it works.... is there something wrong with the ram i got or I would like to know what I've done wrong!, thanks so much in advance.

By the way my mac mini specs are: 1.83/1gb/80gb/Core 2 duo
QUOTE Thanks
louishen

louishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver

The Ram is incompatible

what are the specs the ebay seller gave you? Were ther parity or non parity
two internal SO-DIMM RAM slots. . . [and] The maximum amount of SDRAM supported. . . is 2 GB (one 1 GB SO-DIMM in each slot) with the following specifications:
PC2-5300
unbuffered
nonparity
200-pin
667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM
QUOTE Thanks
bphoenix

Mac Specs: Macbook Pro 15" 2.2/120gb/2gb Santa Rosa - 20" Aluminum Apple Cinema Display

the ram is 1gb 200 pin sodimm 128mx64 ddr2 pc2-5300, it said compatable with all mac mini's so i assumed it would work on mine o.0
QUOTE Thanks
louishen

louishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver

try one chip at a time to see if it is just one of them
QUOTE Thanks
bphoenix

thanks for the advice, i tried putting in the 1gb dimm on the bottom and the old 512 on the top.. same thing happened. Then i took that 1gb stick out and tried the other 1gb stick and put it in, then the computer started but once i got to the blue screen i got a kernel panic.. i tried 3 more times and the same thing happened, you think the sticks i got a faulty?
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

I would think faulty but I have in rare cases seen ram that some motherboards just do not like. This is with PC's but a computer is a computer. What brand are the new sticks?

Can you link us to your Ebay auction where you bought the RAM please?
QUOTE Thanks
bphoenix

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...:X:RTQ:US:1123
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bphoenix View Post
This is very interesting. Crucial is some of the finest RAM I have ever used and I always recommend it to my friends. I am not sure what is going on, but since the old RAM works perfectly there is some issue. Are you sure the new RAM is seating all the way down in the slot?
QUOTE Thanks
bphoenix

i tried it atleast 5 times even swapping the ram from one slot to the other, and im positive i put them in all the way and i got the same result each time.
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

Quote:
i tried it atleast 5 times even swapping the ram from one slot to the other, and im positive i put them in all the way and i got the same result each time.
Did you write the seller and tell him that it does not work no matter what? I would do that and see if he will give you a refund.

I got a used pair from a friends new Gateway when he upgraded even farther and it works 100% in my Intel Mini. It's what Gateway shipped stock and has those exact specs as what you purchased.
QUOTE Thanks
bphoenix

yea i'm going to right away, hopefully he will refund the money and i can order another set and get this sorted out.. thanks for your help! and have a happy holiday! =)
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

Quote:
yea i'm going to right away, hopefully he will refund the money and i can order another set and get this sorted out.. thanks for your help! and have a happy holiday! =)
No problem. Hope all works out for you and please keep us updated!

Merry Christmas to you.
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Crucial memory is lifetime guaranteed. I'm not sure if that extends to a party other than the original purchaser. If I were the seller, I'd ask you to return the memory, refund your money and then exchange it with Crucial and relist.

When the memory was shipped to you, was it wrapped in one of those silver-colored anti-static bags?

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwa107 View Post
Crucial memory is lifetime guaranteed. I'm not sure if that extends to a party other than the original purchaser. If I were the seller, I'd ask you to return the memory, refund your money and then exchange it with Crucial and relist.

When the memory was shipped to you, was it wrapped in one of those silver-colored anti-static bags?
Agreed!

I was also wondering if the dood on Ebay somehow zapped the ram due to static before he packed it. The ad did say he was in the original Crucial box.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« G4 Processor | G3 hard drive in a PC »