New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

Power Mac - G4 Processor

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

gk41

gk41 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook White, 2.4 GHz C2D, Mac OS X 10.6

Hey,
I have a Power Mac G4 with a 450mhz processor, which i am unable to upgrade to Leopard as it does not meet the minimum specification.
However, i also have a eMac with a 1.2Ghz G4 processor inside it, which is broken .

My question is, would it possible to put the G4 processor from the eMac into the Power Mac and then upgrade the Power Mac to Leopard?
QUOTE Thanks
bryphotoguy

bryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nice
Mac Specs: Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone

No. The two are configured very differently. I assume the processor is built into the logic board of the eMac like the G4 laptops are.

January 2008 Member of the Month
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz, 16GB memory, OS 10.10.1

The only way to upgrade the G4 is via a Sonnet, OWC, Powerlogix or similar CPU upgrades, which start from about US$160 for a 1GHz unit.

You may see cheaper ones from time to time on places such as eBay.

Do a Google on running Leopard on G4's not meeting Leopard's specs.
QUOTE Thanks
ronss

ronss is on a distinguished road

you would be better off buying a quicksilver g4, and probably can get something above 867mhz for $160......i bought recently a dual 867 mmd for $340 off ebay,,,added a 9800 pro for $123,,, and runs just great... i had a g4 quicksilver 800mhz that i sold because of the leopard thing,,,and it was not even close in speed..the dual cpus and faster ddr memory makes a huge difference

take that back,,, propably cost ya more than $160,,,i quess since leopard, the quicksilvers seem to have gone up in price

http://computers.search.ebay.com/qui...Z1QQsofocusZbs
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz, 16GB memory, OS 10.10.1

OK for you guys in the States - others of us do it tough.

Here in Australia 867DP MDD are still bringing around the $600, 1.25DP about $800 and one of those hens teeth rare birds, the 1.42 DP, asking price is around the $1200 mark.

A 1.4GHz upgrade say at $250 is pretty competitive.
QUOTE Thanks
ronss

ronss is on a distinguished road

wow, sounds like apple mdd,s are in short supply in australia...good luck on your cpu upgrade..maybe you can find someone to ship ya one to australia,,though the shipping might be steep/.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Adding a PCMCIA port to an imac g5 | Upgraded mac mini ram - NO CHIME HELP! »