New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

iMac - No Screen! Light Works, But Nothing Else Please Help!

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

CraigNB

CraigNB is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 20 " Intel iMac, 60 GB 5th Gen iPod 12300+ Songs

HELLO i am a college student and have had a 20" Intel iMac for about 1.5 years and today i was "iLugging" it to school and when i got to school and plugged it in the small light in the right hand bottom corner that usually lights for a second then dims to nothing when the computer first turns on just stayed lit and the display stayed off - you could hear it turn on for a second, the cd area spun and then nothing just the light stays solidly lit. I got worried so i held down the power button and it shut off, then i turned it back on but held the power button instead of just pressing and the light turned on and blinked about 10 times very quickly strobing almost then just stay lit - i can't make it do nothing else. I don't believe I have Apple Care but have had the computer for less then 2 years so should still be eligible to get it, im really nervous if anyone knows any trouble shoots or ideas PLEASE help me

-CraigNB
QUOTE Thanks
CraigNB

CraigNB is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 20 " Intel iMac, 60 GB 5th Gen iPod 12300+ Songs

Answer:

I went to the Apple Store and heres what they did to fix it: First he tried to hold the power button down for 10 seconds with the power cable unplugged (huh?) then that didn't work so he took the RAM our and then put it back in and wallah....

So if anyone has the same problem ever taking the ram out / re-inserting acts as a reset on the Intel iMacs (white versions)

-CraigNB
QUOTE Thanks
technologist

technologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigNB View Post
Answer:

I went to the Apple Store and heres what they did to fix it: First he tried to hold the power button down for 10 seconds with the power cable unplugged (huh?)
[url=http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=303446]SMC Reset
Quote:
then that didn't work so he took the RAM our and then put it back in and wallah....

So if anyone has the same problem ever taking the ram out / re-inserting acts as a reset on the Intel iMacs (white versions)
Glad it worked out for you. It's good to be close to a store.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« 1gb 2rx8 pc2-5300f-555-10 ??? Please help | To imac or not to imac thats the ?? »