New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

mini - What RAM - Mac Mini 2.0GHz

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Kola

Kola is on a distinguished road

Hi,

Can anyone tell me the exact make and model (or link 2) some RAM that will defiantly work with a 2.0GHz Mac Mini?

NB;-

No guesses please as I cant afford the Downtime. Please only reply if you have installed the RAM and had weeks of happy stable OS X afterward.

Many thanks.
QUOTE Thanks
the8thark

the8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3

January 2005, September 2005 models:

184 pin PC2700 DDR333 SDRAM (PC3200 supported but it will only run at 333Mhz)

February 2006, September 2006, August 2007 models:

200 pin PC2-5300 (667mhz) DDR2 SO-DIMM

Mactracker says those are the ram you need. And it is right. Just don't get the 800Mhz variety. No noticeable difference currently to the one above. And for brand pick something well known like Kingston or OWC or Crucial.

Yours is a 2Ghz model as you said so the bottom 667mhz ram will work for you.
QUOTE Thanks
Kola

Thanks,

Would this do?

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/130439
QUOTE Thanks
the8thark

the8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3

You'll have to email them to make sure it has the right number of pins. As there is 200 and 240 pins versions of this ram. And you need the 200 pin version. And the site doesn't say how many pins the ram has.

But if you get feedback saying it has 200 pins then go for it.
QUOTE Thanks
Kola

thanks m8.

Has anyone actually done this upgrade before? What make of RAM did you go for?
QUOTE Thanks
bryphotoguy

bryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nice
Mac Specs: Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone

It uses standard PC5300 SO DIMM laptop RAM. Go to newegg.com for the best prices.

January 2008 Member of the Month
QUOTE Thanks
Kola

Hi everyone.

I know what it uses. this is in no doubt what so ever.

I am wanting members own PERSONAL experience with brands etc and what suits the mac mini best.
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

I have had the best luck with Crucial RAM. Since you live in the UK I have no idea where you would purchase Crucial but it's never let me down. I have also had very good luck in all my Macs (Mini Included) with Kingston, but if $$$ is not in the way I try and stick with Crucial.

I have upgraded the RAM on several Mini's, both G4 and Intel and never had one issue.

http://www.crucial.com/index.aspx?gc...frdpagod0xwpla
QUOTE Thanks
Kola

hi Dtravis. Sorry to bug you but would you be so kind as to link to the exact make and model you would use to upgrade a mac mini with?

I know its PC5300 but many manufacturers make many diffrent kinds of the same RAM. IE Kingston may well make 3 different types of PC5300.

I cant afford to fit more RAM my mac wont like and have all of this saga again for a procedure that should be so simple.
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

http://www.crucial.com/store/listpar...0-%202.0GHz%29

Use the Memory search tool on their main page. Select Apple then Mini then your Model. That is another thing I love about Crucial, they show you what RAM works with your machine. Even if I buy another brand I use their tool to see exactly what I need.

Don't worry about bugging me. I am here to help people.

...Dennis
QUOTE Thanks
Kola

Hi Dennis.

I don't think I am making my point clear here as no one is getting me.

I know full well what spec ram is needed as I have previously bought the correct type before and even installed it correctly so Leopard realized it was there and worked fine for three days with it.

I have since had my confidence severely dented and lost two days pay due tyo down time by buying the correct spec'd RAM that brought so much trouble to my Mac I am returning my Mac to get another one.
See here - Bitterly Disappointed with Apple Macs!!!!!

So I am more hoping for a, "Hey mickey, I installed this Brand make and exact model and it DEFIANTLY works fine with a Mac Mini." type, answer m8
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

The Crucial ram I linked you to will work fine.

I would tell you what I used in mine but you can not purchase it. Friend upgraded their Gateway Vista laptop and gave me their RAM from the Gateway in trade for fixing their system. It was one month old Hynix that Gateway supplied and he needed even more RAM.
QUOTE Thanks
Kola

ok m8, thanks

Thanks to all that helped.

Denis, got the 2 gig kit linked to here http://www.crucial.com/uk/store/list...2+Duo+-+2.0GHz)
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« RAM Question | 1gb 2rx8 pc2-5300f-555-10 ??? Please help »