New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

Mac Pro - What type of use warrants a Mac Pro?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Michael415

Michael415 is on a distinguished road

As the title asks, what would be a deciding factor between going with a iMac and the Mac Pro?

Im getting a bit lazy I suppose and am tired of lugging the MBP home nightly from work and am contemplating options. If it would be an iMac it would have to be the 24 inch version as the screen on the 20 drives me nuts and I already have a great 23 ACD so the screen isnt really my driving force here.
QUOTE Thanks
bryphotoguy

bryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nice
Mac Specs: Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone

It depends on how much money you have to spend really.
I don't have to muck with the glossy screen, external drives, or be stuck with a sub-par video card for the next few years, so the Mac Pro is worth it to me.
I got it in case I work on photos but I use it for web surfing and right it's main use is going to be for a entertainment center.
Like I said, it depends on how much you have to spend. If you have enough, get the Mac Pro. You won't be disappointed. If money is tight and you don't feel you'd make use of all of it's power, the iMac will suit you nicely.

January 2008 Member of the Month
QUOTE Thanks
the8thark

the8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3

The above makes a valid statement. But I'm not in 100% agreement with him. For me the Pro is overkill on almost everything the normal or pro user would ever do. Including video, photo and music editing etc. The imac with 2GB + ram des all of this just fine. Rather fast too in my opinion. And also you can go dual screen mode with the imac and the AMD if you ever want to.

The only reason I'd ever consider a Pro if I was a heavy gamer and I really needed the most cutting edge graphics card. Like above said for these people being stuck with one as in the imac is a draw back.

If it was me I'd go for the 24 inch with the extreme processor + more graphics memory and a bigger hard drive. And get the Ram third party later as always. But even the extreme processer is overkill to me too. The standard 24 inch one does the job just great. Heck my 2Ghz imac flies under all kinds of things and I really give it's processor a thrashing.

Well in a practical standpoint I'd have to go for the imac with a few modifications when you buy it. As I said above. But if you want the best of the best. And the ability to add parts to your machine as you see fit go for the Pro.
QUOTE Thanks
goobimama

goobimama is a jewel in the roughgoobimama is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: iMac Core Duo 20", iBook G4, iPhone 8GB :)

Yep. If you plan on running dual displays and the full feature set of Final Cut Studio for good measure, then Mac Pro it is. If you plan on running a recording studio with a powerful soundcard and need ample screen real estate + hard drive space, then it's the Mac Pro. Otherwise the iMac is just fine.

Remember, the Mac Pro comes with Quad core as the base configuration. You can expand it to have loads of memory, hard drive space, and graphics power. If you don't need that, then iMac it is.
QUOTE Thanks
D3v1L80Y

D3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook

Quote:
What type of use warrants a Mac Pro?
If you have to ask, then you probably don't need one.

Go with an iMac or a Mini if you need a desktop.

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

QUOTE Thanks
Michael415

Thanks for all the input. I am leaning a bit toward a 24 2.4 iMac at this point but as superficial as it sounds I am a bit curious how it will look with the ACD right next to it. Looking at the extreme iMac its just as much as the pro, so if I were to go that route I would go with the pro since the monitor not really needed. The mini concerns me only in that it has no true video card at all and while I mostly work with music I don't want to be overly limited. Thanks for the input I might post and see if anyone has an iMac and ACD side by side since at the apple store they got them far apart.
QUOTE Thanks
coach_z

coach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: i dont have no mac's

Quote:
Originally Posted by D3v1L80Y View Post
If you have to ask, then you probably don't need one.

Go with an iMac or a Mini if you need a desktop.

you stole my answer!!!!!

MoTM honor roll...
when?
i dont remember
QUOTE Thanks
I Can Has Mac!

I Can Has Mac! is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: Iphone 8gig, inherited powerbook (beer+mac=power-brick)

The pro could not only be used for graphic renderings and cutting edge games it can also double as a car or at least i would assume so as that it nearly costs the same.

I got bored and maxed out the specs on a mac pro on the apple online store.

the total was...............................$14,117.00

that of course is without a moniter and no wireless mouse or keyboard or softwares.

yikes.

i think the only people who need pro are using it for thier PROfession whether its uber high def. video or what I dont know. lol

Not a fanboy just enlightened.
QUOTE Thanks
Michael415

Quote:
Originally Posted by coach_z View Post
you stole my answer!!!!!
No offense but its totally useless answer. The genius at the apple store basically said go with the pro because money wasn't that big a concern, but couldn't really give me any solid reasons why it was the better choice, hence the reason I posted here. Anyway thanks for ppls info, and this is what I have surmised from comments and research. Please feel free to add or disagree as I would like to make this an educated decision.

From what I have read from other posts here and research I see the pro as:
-easily upgradeable
-fast processer(s)
-more ram expandable
leading me to think its for ppl that want to do gaming or intense video work, neither of which I do.

iMac:
-closed system
-fast processor
-solid but not spin your head fast performance
I surmise this computer is good all around and would suit fine for multitasking and working with CS3 graphics, music creation and editing, and surfing. Concern is will it support my ACD 23 in addition to its 24 w/o bogging down.

Mini
-very closed system
-no graphics card
-basically a laptop put into a very small footprint
Good for surfing, and light music use, but getting pushed hard doing graphics work or large/intense music creation and editing.
QUOTE Thanks
jrko

jrko is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: 17" Imac G5 1.8Ghz 2Gb Ram & 820Gb of external hard drives

If money is not a concern then go for the pro.

People are still using them from 8 years ago as their main machines for all sorts.

The iMac is great but any upgrades will be external and can end up being messy.

go pro
QUOTE Thanks
bryphotoguy

bryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nice
Mac Specs: Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael415 View Post
No offense but its totally useless answer. The genius at the apple store basically said go with the pro because money wasn't that big a concern, but couldn't really give me any solid reasons why it was the better choice, hence the reason I posted here. Anyway thanks for ppls info, and this is what I have surmised from comments and research. Please feel free to add or disagree as I would like to make this an educated decision.

From what I have read from other posts here and research I see the pro as:
-easily upgradeable
-fast processer(s)
-more ram expandable
leading me to think its for ppl that want to do gaming or intense video work, neither of which I do.

iMac:
-closed system
-fast processor
-solid but not spin your head fast performance
I surmise this computer is good all around and would suit fine for multitasking and working with CS3 graphics, music creation and editing, and surfing. Concern is will it support my ACD 23 in addition to its 24 w/o bogging down.

Mini
-very closed system
-no graphics card
-basically a laptop put into a very small footprint
Good for surfing, and light music use, but getting pushed hard doing graphics work or large/intense music creation and editing.
I would say, go to the Apple store and tell them to let you test a 23" ACD hooked up to the 14" iMac you're interested in. If they want your business, it should be no problem. From there, you can test the iMac and see how well it performs. Last time I played with the iMacs at the Apple Store, they had Photoshop installed on them so you should be able to test a few things you do on it.
I assume it would work just fine with a 23" ACD but go there and make them hook it all up for you.

January 2008 Member of the Month
QUOTE Thanks
the8thark

the8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael415 View Post
Well this is my opinion but I tend to disagree with your research a little. on the whole it's correct but I've learnt these few things.

Pro: I agree. But most hardcore gamers would rather go a custom PC. Most of the Pixar and other such companies would invest in the pros. Cause for them time is money but us average people can wait those few extra seconds for a job to finish and need TBs of space for all the video and other files they are playing with

Imac: I agree again but I think the imacs are very fast. They can do everything even quite a bit of video editing rather zippily. Just make sure you get the best video card with max video memory and 2+ GB cpu memory if you want to dual screen and everything should be fine. (But a test with the standard video cards would be nice too at the store)

Mini: With the 2 GB memory upgrade I believe this thing this thing (the recent models) could do everything bar video editing just great. Personally I'm not a fan of them cause of they are not an all in one system but if you already have the required accessories then it's a nice little machine for most work.

I totally agree with the above, about bringing in the AMD for a test run with an imac at an apple store. But I'd ring up prehand to make sure it can be done. I'm sure it can but they might want to have a certain staff member present or something while this is happening so getting a suitable time to do this there first would be a good idea.
QUOTE Thanks
rogerinlondon

rogerinlondon will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MacPro 2,66GHz 10GB RAM NV 8800GT Cinema 30" * MBP 15" Glossy 2.33 GHz 2 Duo 3GB RAM 160GB HD

I got the Pro because I wanted the 30" screen and be able to upgrade in the future, not having to buy a new machine for many years to come and since I did not like the look of the old iMac. And of course, because I could afford it.....
QUOTE Thanks
Brown Study

Brown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to all
Mac Specs: G4 Tiger and OS 9

My rationalization for a Mac Pro stops at email. Too bad my reality is a gumdrop iMac.
QUOTE Thanks
cgchambers

cgchambers is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 2.6 w/4 gigs, Mac Pro Dual Quad 2.8's with 16 gigs of Ram, iMac 21" i5

I got my Mac Pro because I am a tinkerer. I love adding new drives to the machine, swapping out video cards, etc.

And use of life is incredible. My wife has an old G3 tower that is still running like a champ, have never had to do anything to it maintenance wise!!! Even her old iMac can't say that.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Old GF4 Ti4200 from a pc in my G5? | 4GB of memory...and 8mb free? »