New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

G4 upgrades.

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

setstatic

I've got the first ever G4, the 350mhz one. Just curious if anyones got suggestions for upgrades from specific companies, etc. My main computer now is a new 17" powerbook, but I'd like to get G4 running a little better if I could.

Thanks in advance.
QUOTE Thanks
Avalon

Avalon is just really niceAvalon is just really niceAvalon is just really niceAvalon is just really nice
Mac Specs: PowerMac G5 Dual 2GHz (June 2004), 2.5GB, Airport, black 5G iPod 30GB, white MacBook 2.0 2GB

For CPU upgrades, check

www.sonnettech.com

www.powerlogix.com

They have upgrades for nearly every older Mac.

But be aware, your G4 is the very first one, also called "Yikes!" or "PCI graphics". Upgrades for the later G4 ("Sawtooth, AGP graphics") will not fit!
QUOTE Thanks
setstatic

Thanks for the links! I did realize I had the "yikes!", pci graphics...unfortunately. Anyone else have any suggestions?
QUOTE Thanks
.emo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by setstatic
Thanks for the links! I did realize I had the "yikes!", pci graphics...unfortunately. Anyone else have any suggestions?
haha my middle name is upgrade so lets see how i can spend your money
processor
.... i would go an xlr8 500/600

ram
any pc133 ram max her out with 1.5 (3dimms)

harddrives
any sata drive is better then the ata that you have in there now...if your willing to drop 150-200 for a great drive the western digital raptors are the way to go they are the only sata drive out now that are 10k...i have 2 beautiful.
or you could get a solid hitachi 7k

in order to host sata drive in a machine besides a g5 you will need a sata hose card. i am using a firmtek inside my g3 with 2 maxtor drives hooked up to it.

pci expansion
i would recommend getting a fw400/800 card cause the firewire bridges on the g4 are 15MB and the PCI are about 35MB

also you should look into a USB 2.0 card 3/4 port should suffice on a play machine.

there are many other products besides the ones i have linked in the post so dont feel this is it....look around newegg.com is a great site and macgurus.com is amazing...high prices but you learn alot from reading the descriptopn etc. hope i helped
QUOTE Thanks
setstatic

solid suggestions...seem like some of the best products I've found so far...

any recommendations for fw400/800 and USB 2.0 cards??

thanks for the macgurus.com and newegg.com links as well...
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« iMac Dissapointment | which hard drive to buy for iMac DV 400? »