New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

View Poll Results:
0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

iMac - To imac or not to imac thats the ??

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

I Can Has Mac!

I Can Has Mac! is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: Iphone 8gig, inherited powerbook (beer+mac=power-brick)

I am buying a macbook pro in feb. and am a photographer. so I would be using photo editing software alot. Would it be foolish to get an imac 24 inch 2.8ghz for the bigger screen and processing power or would i be fine with macbook pro 17 inch 2.6 ghz?

I just dont want a computer That isnt neccisary or not used.

(money isnt a big issue im in the U.S.A.F. no girlfriend payed off car so on. just my iphone bill)

Furthermore if i were to get the imac as well is it easy to swap files and the such between the macs? Ive never done any of that before so would it be a difficult setup? Do you need airport or is it possible between the two computers without it?

Not a fanboy just enlightened.
QUOTE Thanks
Leukeh

Leukeh is a jewel in the roughLeukeh is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 13" MBP, 2.26GHz, 8gb RAM

AirPort is built in, it's just the name of the wireless. So you'll have it on both computers. That's all you need to transfer, as long as you set up a network. You might be able to connect 2 computers via bluetooth, I've never done it but I can't see why not.

Personally, I wouldn't bother getting both. The Macbook Pro has enough power to do all you want with editing software, I'm buying one next year to use at college - I'm doing graphic design. I have an iMac at the moment, but it's a couple of years old and a little sluggish - I still manage to get a lot of stuff done on it.

You don't need the iMac, the MBP is more than enough =)

Behance Design/Photography Porfolio
QUOTE Thanks
goobimama

goobimama is a jewel in the roughgoobimama is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: iMac Core Duo 20", iBook G4, iPhone 8GB :)

What kind of computer do you have at the moment? Your mac specs say Powerbook, but don't mention which one. Cause if it has enough of horsepower, then the iMac would be ideal. The iMac is a great machine and is really powerful as well. However, if you need something on the move, like many photographers, you should get a MBP (unless your PB is good enough for mobile use). Remember, the resolution that you will get with a MBP 17" can be the same as on the 24" iMac...

As for swapping files between macs and PCs, it's the easiest thing (as long as your PC is properly setup, and preferably XP)
QUOTE Thanks
I Can Has Mac!

the specs are irrelevant it met its match when my cousin got drunk and used it as a coaster for his redstripe (which spilled and made it a powerbrick).

So i had to get my emachine out of my closet and dust it off

And im getting the mbp regardless i just dont know if i need a imac. I like them but i dont want a big paperweight that bonuses as a mac (you know) by that i mean if i would just be using the mbp.

QUOTE Thanks
bryphotoguy

bryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nice
Mac Specs: Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone

I've never found a need for more than one computer.
If you're main usage will be for photography, I would stick with the MBP and get a second monitor for desk use. I would spend a grand on a really nice graphics monitor and get the MBP than to have a MBP and an iMac.
The .2GHz difference will not be noticed when photo editing. Save the $250, get the 2.4GHz and put 4GB of RAM in it instead.

January 2008 Member of the Month
QUOTE Thanks
I Can Has Mac!

so the 2.6 GHZ isnt worth the money?

QUOTE Thanks
bryphotoguy

bryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryphotoguy View Post
The .2GHz difference will not be noticed when photo editing.
Not really.

QUOTE Thanks
brian67

brian67 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 24" iMac, 2.4GHz C2D, 4 GB RAM, 320 GB hard drive, OS X 10.5.1

bryphotoguy gave the best advice. Get the MBP and a good monitor.
QUOTE Thanks
I Can Has Mac!

Ok what monitors are recommended and whats the highest resolution and size that the 17inch hi def support?

I am clueless about monitors i use books so any help would be appreciated gents an gals.

QUOTE Thanks
bryphotoguy

All of the current MBP's will support up to a 30" monitor or max resolution of 2560x1600 (I am pretty sure that's the 30" monitor rez).
As for a good graphics monitor, Apple makes good monitor. If I had the $, I would get an Eizo.
At work, we have a 24" Eizo next to a 23" Apple display. The Apple display is a year old so it probably doesn't look at nice as it once did (they're display monitors so they're on 9+ hrs a day) and the Eizo totally blows it out of the water. I was researching prices yesterday. I saw a nice 20.1" for $1000. I think they are coming out with a new 30" soon for $2700. I would check out their website and go from there.
I like the Eizo ColorEdge CE210W.

QUOTE Thanks
brian67

brian67 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 24" iMac, 2.4GHz C2D, 4 GB RAM, 320 GB hard drive, OS X 10.5.1

well. The Apple Cinema displays are nice, but there are probably some photographers on here with some other good choices.
QUOTE Thanks
bryphotoguy

I work for a high end photo retailer and we sell Apple, Eizo, and LaCie LCD's. Any would be sufficient but I'd go with Eizo or LaCie.

QUOTE Thanks
I Can Has Mac!

love you guys all help is greatly appreciated any other photgraphers with advice?

Im new to apple imaging software and hardware(for imaging). So pass on some knowledge.

QUOTE Thanks
bryphotoguy

We're here to help. Thanks for the rep!

QUOTE Thanks
Sawday

Sawday is a jewel in the roughSawday is a jewel in the roughSawday is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 24" Aluminium, 2.8 GHz, 4Gb RAM. iPad2, iPhone4

Until they make a small light laptop with a full size keyboard and 24" screen I'll stick to my imac. Loving it more each day!!

Happiness is not getting what you want, but wanting what you get.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« No Screen! Light Works, But Nothing Else Please Help! | iMac SuperDrive.....dead »