New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

mini - powermac g5

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

hotrod351

hotrod351 is on a distinguished road

im looking at some powermac g5s. id like to run boot camp but i have read where you need a intel processor. do all g5s come with intel processors. right now im using a powermac g4 digital audio with 533 cpu, 1.5 gb ram and dual 80 gb hard drives.
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4

No they do not. Early Powermac G5's and iMac G5's were PPC (power p c). Go to a site such as everymac.com or mactracker and find out which models are Intel.
QUOTE Thanks
MacHeadCase

What might be confusing you is that the Intel-based Mac Pro and the Power Mac G5 kept the same casing.

The G in G5 stands for the PowerPC chip generation, hence the G5 was generation number 5 of the PowerPC chip, the first one being the 601 chip found in the old 6100 Macintosh.

Here's a complete rundown on the PowerPC chip's first two generations (with links at the bottom to the G3, G4 and G5 chips).
QUOTE Thanks
hotrod351

well that explains why the g5 go for under $1200.00 and the macpro is over $3000.00
QUOTE Thanks
MacHeadCase

And Boot Camp only runs on Intel-based Macs, it won't work on PowerPC Macs.
QUOTE Thanks
hotrod351

well im one of those that bought virtual pc and tried running it on my g4, it was so slow that i finally uninstalled it. and i tried every setup that i could find on every site to try to make it run faster so i kinda like the fact that the macpro will run windows faster than a dell or gateway, and its a mac.
QUOTE Thanks
hotrod351

also if i bought a macpro would i be able to use the monitor and keyboard from my powermac g4
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4

VPC is a s-l-o-w old program and really only good for running say sales data that are not available to a Mac. Even with a Macpro I do not know if Boot Camp would be as fast as say a PC for gaming
QUOTE Thanks
bryphotoguy

bryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nice
Mac Specs: Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotrod351 View Post
well that explains why the g5 go for under $1200.00 and the macpro is over $3000.00
Mine was $2360. I bought it refurbished which is a better way to go in my opinion over a brand new Mac. I've bought 3 refurbished Macs, never had a problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotrod351 View Post
also if i bought a macpro would i be able to use the monitor and keyboard from my powermac g4
Yes. If you bought a Mac Pro, it comes with a new mouse and keyboard. (You can use your old set if it's USB.) The Mac Pro also comes with an adapter if you're using VGA. If you're using an older Apple LCD with an ADC, you will need to buy an adapter.

Why a Mac Pro and not an iMac or a Mini? Not that the Pro is bad computer, it's amazing, you can run Windows on any new Apple computer.

January 2008 Member of the Month
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Please I Need Help!!! | RAM Question »