New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

G4 processor upgrade ? (newbie)

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

iownslaves

Hi y'all

I just recieved a G4(Sawtooth AGP) the other day and my roommate just upgraded his G4 (Quicksilver). I was wondering if his processor can fit into my Sawtooth? Is there a way to mod the Quicksilver chip to fit it into the Sawtooth?

Thanks!
QUOTE Thanks
Acill

Acill is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Powermac G5/Powerbook G4/Pegasos 2

It should just fit right on. They have the same CPU connector.
QUOTE Thanks
iownslaves

He has a
Sonnet Beige G4-1GHz ZIF Processor and OEM Apple PowerMac Quicksilver G4 DUAL 800MHz Processor

in his closet. will both of these work in my sawtooth ?
QUOTE Thanks
beret9987

beret9987 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 15" 2.2Ghz SR MBP

Both of those should fit nicely on to the CPU connectors since the Dual CPUS are put on one daughter card. A daughter card is the card that fits into your CPU Connector. I find it a whole lot eaiser than the Windows way with ZIF(Zero Insertion Force) Method.
QUOTE Thanks
Avalon

Avalon is just really niceAvalon is just really niceAvalon is just really niceAvalon is just really nice
Mac Specs: PowerMac G5 Dual 2GHz (June 2004), 2.5GB, Airport, black 5G iPod 30GB, white MacBook 2.0 2GB

If you really have a "Sawtooth"(AGP graphics), the ZIF will not fit. ZIF CPUs only work for "Yikes!" models (G4 PCI graphics). The Quicksilver CPU board should fit.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« G5 wont enable display on boot-up | Defrag or not to Defrag that is the question. »