New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

iMac - Old G3s

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

KB3GZW

KB3GZW is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2.53 GHz MBP, 4 GB RAM, 320 GB HDD

My mom bought me 3 blue iMacs and a graphite iMac for $30. None of them have system software and the graphite doesnt turn on at all. I already have a blue iMac and a graphite to start. So I dont need to save these in working order for any reason. What else can I do with them that doesnt have to have them running? Im talking not computer related. I saw one of them made into a cat bed one time and I plan on doing that with one of them. ANY ideas are appreciated. ANY...

I Love Free Software.
Ext. Storage: 500GB MyBook Pro, 1TB MyBook Studio
iPod: 120 GB Classic - Phone : Treo 800w
TWITTER Follow Me
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz, 16GB memory, OS 10.10.1

Do you fancy fish and aquariums at all?

Here is a link to possible uses of an iMac as an aquarium:-

http://www.theapplecollection.com/Co...um/index.shtml
QUOTE Thanks
louishen

louishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver

The graphite imac is the best one, do they even have a power light on when you plug them in and try to start them up

if they show any signs of life - then it could just be that their internal battery is dead, or that someone has taken out the RAM (unlikely)

Have a look at lowendmac.com if you want to get them working again
QUOTE Thanks
bryphotoguy

bryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nice
Mac Specs: Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone

My cat likes his as a bed.

The original G3 iMacs are a lot simpler to put back together to make a cat bed because you don't need any sort of glue. But it had two pieces on the inside of the case that stick up leaving less room in the front of the case for the cat to lay.
I haven't taken apart a DV model, which what the blue models are if I had to guess.
The later models like the graphite don't have the two pieces on the inside of the case but it didn't go back together as nicely as the early iMacs so I had to use a lot of super glue. Plus, the graphite case looks a little blue and isn't very appealing when it's empty. I prefer the brighter iMacs.
I can't say I've seen photos of an iMac fish tank but people always say there is one. It seems like a lot of work sealing all of those little cracks and holes though.

With three you could make some sort of bookcase or something. Or a sort of jungle gym for the cat.

January 2008 Member of the Month
QUOTE Thanks
Sherman Homan

Sherman Homan is a jewel in the roughSherman Homan is a jewel in the roughSherman Homan is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
I saw one of them made into a cat bed one time and I plan on doing that with one of them.
http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/sho...381#post542042
You are famous, bryphotoguy!
QUOTE Thanks
KB3GZW

Nah I know what to look for to get them running and I dont really have any intentions to get them to run.

I may do a fish tank or I could make it into a snake enclosure, that would be cool.

I am definately make one of them into a cat bed though.

Someone stripped the RAM out of the graphite and it looks like there was an airport card in it to, but that is gone(bummer). I did put RAM into it to try and start it but there was no dice.

I Love Free Software.
TWITTER Follow Me
QUOTE Thanks
bryphotoguy

bryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nice
Mac Specs: Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone

I think the iMacs do not power on if the logic board battery is dead. It might be a simple fix.

January 2008 Member of the Month
QUOTE Thanks
KB3GZW

alright I will check it out.

I Love Free Software.
TWITTER Follow Me
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe