New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

Broken Powerbook g4

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

cheezewiz

Hey Everyone,

Im pretty desperate for any ones suggestions, but first here is a little background info. A while ago I purchaced a powerbook g4. After being a mac hater all my life, I fell in love with it. Unfortunately shortly after the 90 day warranty expired I started hearing a suspicious rattleing and my cdrom would work on and off as it chose. I also suffered from my cds getting a circular scratch on them everytime I put one in the combo drive. Finally one day when I put a cd into the combo drive the whole powerbook locked up and would not respond. I rebooted and all was fine except the cd would not eject, the powerbook would not even detect the cdrom as a device in the compter. So after thinking about it for a while me and a friend opened the powerbook up useing the powerbook service manual which I found online. After struggleing to get it apart because of a poorly mounted stand off that was soldered to the logic board breaking off and a fan connector breaking we found the problem. A screw that was supposed to hold the combo drive in place came loose, got lodged in the drive and shorted it out. we removed the cd and screw and put the powerbook back together. Unfortunately I still dont think all the screws are in the right places, ill be sure to fix that next time its apart. The comdo drive still does not work. Im afraid that instead of only frying the drive that it may have fried an ide channel too. Also the fan doesnt work after we broke the connector, if all else fails i may have to solder the wires to the logic board.
I guess my question is has anyone had a problem like this before? Because I voided the warranty by taking it apart (even tho the warranty was expired) will apple still work on it for me? Is there someone who will work on it cheeper? I dont want to go spend 400 dollars on a combo drive to find out the ide channel is fried. Does anyone have any advice on what to do?

Also under the keyboard there is a small metalic looking object held in place by a piece of yellow see through tape. Anyone know what this is?

Thanks For The Help,

Colby
QUOTE Thanks
rman

rman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 2 x 3.0GHz Quad-Core, 6GB OS X 10.6.8 | 15in MacBook Pro 2.2GHz OS X 10.6.8 | 64GB iPad 2 WiFi

If you brought your powerbook new. There is two warrantees. The 90 day phone support and the 1 year hardware support. I can truely you voided the 1 year warrantee. Apple can fix it for you, but it will cost you. I don't have a recommendation on how to get it fixed.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, It's about learning to dance in the rain!
QUOTE Thanks
Icarus

Missing some screws, eh? (sorry...I'd be very sad if anything happened to my powerbook...I love it.)
QUOTE Thanks
cheezewiz

Quote:
Originally Posted by rman
If you brought your powerbook new. There is two warrantees. The 90 day phone support and the 1 year hardware support. I can truely you voided the 1 year warrantee. Apple can fix it for you, but it will cost you. I don't have a recommendation on how to get it fixed.

anyone got any bright ideas? anyone have a cheep combo drive that i can buy from them. Hell anyhting that will work in a 12 inch powerbook g4. if all else fails i guess i can put a drive in an external inclosure. Any way to test and see if the ide channel is fried without spending a butt load?
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Rev B Hard Drive Help needed ! | G5 Video »