PowerMac or iMac
    Specs:
    MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
    PowerMac or iMac
    Ok so I'm trying to decide...do I buy a PowerMac G5 or do I go with an iMac? Obviously there's a huge cost difference but the cost is not so much of an issue...I'm more concerned that if I'm going to pay the extra, that I get my moneys worth out of it. I don't think I'd really do that with the PowerMac, but I could be wrong.

I mainly do internet, some graphics, iTunes, iPhoto, and that's about it. If I do go with the iMac, then I may wait until later this year to see if they revise them again.

What do you guys think?
    schweb | community leader
    flickr facebook twitter tumblr google+ about.me

Mac-Forums: On Twitter | On Facebook | On Flickr

PowerMac or iMac
    Specs:
    2 x 3.0GHz Quad-Core, 6GB OS X 10.6.8 | 15in MacBook Pro 2.2GHz OS X 10.6.8 | 64GB iPad 2 WiFi
    Cool
    When I buy any computer I look at two things. One what am I going to do with it and the other is growth. I try to buy the hottest box, the biggest disk drive and the most memory I can afford. By doing thing I hope not to out grow the computer in the near future, but the distant future. Also you may not know what you might be doing in the future, from video editting, to even sound editting.

But from what you described an iMac G4 would be okay. If you can I would shoot for the middle of the road G5. That would put you in front of the curve for a short while.

At least that is my quarter.
    Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, It's about learning to dance in the rain!

PowerMac or iMac
    Specs:
    MacPro 3.0Ghz 16GB RAM, 4x256 Vid, 30''cinema display
    ok now I would get a powermacg5 just because its the fastest thing in the world. This is like Superman of computers. It will last a hella long time. Because I expect my iMac to have another 4 good years out of it at least (course ill upgrade to the g5 in 6months-year). So a mac with probly 10x the speed in all aspects will probly be good for 3x longer. Ide go with the g5.. perhaps ull use it for more later on.
    G5 all the way and uve gota max it out. I know i will

PowerMac or iMac
    Specs:
    2 x 3.0GHz Quad-Core, 6GB OS X 10.6.8 | 15in MacBook Pro 2.2GHz OS X 10.6.8 | 64GB iPad 2 WiFi
    Cool
    The peanut gallery, is yelling G5, G5, G5, G5. :innocent:
    Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, It's about learning to dance in the rain!

PowerMac or iMac
    Specs:
    hmmm...there seems to be some consensus here. Ok I'll probably do the G5 and get the 17" studio display. I think anything bigger would be too much for me at this point haha.

I'm also going to wait until they're shipping with 10.3 and probably after the first revision.

PowerMac or iMac
    Specs:
    G52x1.81.53208x+/-
    i personally do a lot on my imac and it does very good. and if you wanna get one, you might wait until January 04. of course if i had the money i would have ordered a G5 last monday

PowerMac or iMac
    Specs:
    Yeah I'm looking to do so early next year...probably around March I think. I get a really large bonus at the end of the year so I need to wait for that

PowerMac or iMac
    Specs:
    Cool
    You know you really want a G5. Come on, you know you want it. :p

PowerMac or iMac
    Specs:
    17" iMac G4 800MHz 1GB RAM
    I love my iMac. But the one thing that bugs me, is that I can't upgrade anything in it. I can put more RAM in it, and that is it. I wish I had a PowerMac so I could choose my video card, which by the way isn't the best card in the world. It needs more RAM on it.
    Emrys
    Community Administrator / Moderator
    MAC-FORUMS.COM - The Ultimate Source For Your Mac!

PowerMac or iMac
    Specs:
    Cool
    That is one of the problems with Apple computers. Being graphics machines in general. I believe they should max out the memory on most of the graphic card. But as you see they don't i wonder why. Does it have to do with prices or what is avaliable at the time. It would be nice/good to upgrade the processor or graphics card. but that may entered due problems, when it comes to support of hardware i guess. :confused:

Thread Information