New iMac 20" 2ghz or 2.4?
    Ok I have decided to upgrade my old iMac G5 (1.8ghz) to a new iMac, but can't decide if to get the base model or the 2.4ghz I would rather save the cash if pos but donít want to buy a machine and regret not putting in the extra £150 for lot better machine.

I donít really use many hard core programs, lightroom is my most common application with the odd bit of iDVD and iMovie.

Is there anyone that has already made the plunge and can advise if the 2.4ghz is worth the extra cash for what I am using?

Specs:
    24" iMac, 2.4GHz C2D, 4 GB RAM, 320 GB hard drive, OS X 10.5.1
    In addition to the faster CPU, you get a 70GB bigger hard drive and a much better video card. All of which will be useful for editing video so I say YES it is worth it to go with the higher-end 20" iMac. Save money somewhere else.

The upfront investment is relatively small. You will be able to use the better equipped machine for a longer period of time. That'll make your investment more worthwhile.

If you can afford it, go for the better machine. If not, the lesser isn't a slouch by any means.
    iMac - 2.4 C2D - 4GB RAM | MacBook - 2.0 C2D - 2GB RAM | AirPort Extreme Base Station

Specs:
    2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 20" iMac
    2.0 and 2.4ghz isn't really much of a difference. I'd suggest you think of the difference in HD size and graphics card. For me, I chose the 2.4ghz over the 2.0ghz cause of the better graphics card with a bigger virtual memory.

Specs:
    Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
    If there's even a tiny chance you might play some games at some point, don't get the 2.0GHz with the HD2400.

Specs:
    2xiMac24 w Parallels 6 (1x White, 1x Aluminum), iPhone 3GS with iOS5
    I agree with the above. Look at the Video card specs first then the hertz. The faster, more on board RAM (256MB) video card is the choice. We all will forget about the speed of the machine but you will be looking at the performance of the video card and RAM size matters when doing large or intensive video. Go big and go fast.

Ok Sold :-)

I'll get the bigger Machine, I will never play games on it as been down that road on my old iMac and they just cant cut it for me, so I have a 360 for gamming. Yes I know it m$ but IMO its the best console on the market for gamming.

Just sold my old iMac on the bay, formating and reinstalling tiger for the new owner, then off to Apple Shop for a new mac in the next couple of days ... Can't wait.

Need to Order up some ram for the boy, so the new iMac take 2 x sticks of 2gb memory think i will order that from Crucial unless anyone has a better sugestion?

Thanks for spending the time to reply.

Love this site..

Specs:
    24" iMac, 2.4GHz C2D, 4 GB RAM, 320 GB hard drive, OS X 10.5.1
    Crucial is a great place to get RAM. I would also check out Newegg.com. Heres a good deal on a 2GB stick DEAL I put two of these from G.Skill in and now I dont have to worry about editing anything.

Specs:
    20" imac 4 gigs Patriot RAM
    I bought the 20 inch and am enjoying it... I don't game on it though. Have a wii for anything I do. Brian67, I bought the Ram in your link and installed it today. Thanks...works great!

Thread Information