New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

Power Mac - Thinking of buying a second hand Powermac G4, a few questions.

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Throlkim

Throlkim is on a distinguished road

Ahoy, I'm thinking of buying an old tower system for a number of uses, mainly as a file server, streaming server (connected to my 360), additional rendering resources for small video projects (don't need anything particularly powerful for this), and general small network management.

I have my eye on a dual 450mhz machine with 1.5gb of RAM. It has a pretty teeny HD though. Hence my first question:

Will http://www.novatech.co.uk/novatech/s...tml?NOV-ATA133 work in providing me with more IDE slots, and allow me to use HDs larger than 128gb?

Second; how many HDs could I fit in there, along with the supplied DVD drive?
And thirdly; would http://www.novatech.co.uk/novatech/s...tml?NOV-320XR1 work? I'd like to be able to have it on two networks at once.

Any help is much appreciated.
QUOTE Thanks
Sherman Homan

Sherman Homan is a jewel in the roughSherman Homan is a jewel in the roughSherman Homan is a jewel in the rough

Hi and welcome! Your G4 does have the 128 gig drive limit so you will need an IDE card. The tricky part is that I have seen G4s that won't boot off of the drives connected to a card, they had to have a 128 gig drive with OS X connected to the MoBo IDE bus.
I am not familiar with that particular card, but if it is really cheap, it may not work with a Mac. Saving a couple of dollars (or pounds!) may end up being more expensive in terms of headaches. Ditto for the ethernet card. Good luck!
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4

As a suggestion, purchase the highest spec machine you can afford.

If you envisage installing Leopard down the track, now is the time to look for a Quicksiklver 933/1GHz DP or an 867DP+ MDD. The extra dollars now will be a saving later.
QUOTE Thanks
Throlkim

Throlkim is on a distinguished road

Unfortunately my budget doesn't stretch quite that high at the moment, and so I've acquired myself a G4 Graphite. It's only a 450mhz, but the CPU upgrades are fairly cheap, and if I find myself wanting for more power it shouldn't be difficult to upgrade.
It's a 450mhz, 1.25gb of RAM, 60gb HD, with the bonus of an SCSI card which I can sell to recoup some of the money (depending on how good it is). Cost me 56 including postage, so not too bad.
QUOTE Thanks
celica73

celica73 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Sawtooth G4 and PB G4 w/FW800

The Generic IDE card won't work, you will need one with Mac specific firmware. I've been impressed with my ACARD IDE card in my G4 Powermac.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Radeon 9600 pro video card for G4? | Black Smudges growing on Screen »