New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

Power Mac - Can G4 Quicksilver cause monitor to have weird horizonatal shadows across screen?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

art4tees

art4tees is on a distinguished road

I recently had my 19" Envision monitor start displaying unnatural colors and shadows across the screen, as if it was going bad so I went and bought a new 20" HD widescreen ViewSonic. I unpack it, set it up and Wham! It does the same... I calibrate it using the monitor's built in system and it looks even worse .

Can the Mac (700 mHz) have something go bad that causes these horizontal stripes or shadows to extend off the screen where ever there is a horizontal line or stripe on a window, photo, design or even lines of type.? Color images look out of whack with too much red on some or too much of something else on another.

I've been creating graphic designs on Mac for 18 years and never seen this occur.

I appreciate any help from anyone who might have seen this before...
QUOTE Thanks
Chilbear

Chilbear is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2xiMac24 w Parallels 6 (1x White, 1x Aluminum), iPhone 3GS with iOS5

If it is not the monitor then it has to be the video card as a WAG.

Of course the video circuit on the MB may be going as well. Trial and error time. Take the monitor back. I just switched away from my 867 and 22" viewsonic 8 years old and showing burn in lines.
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4 and OS X.10

If you know anyone near you with a Mac, Quicksilver and MDD models both have 4XAGP cards, ask nicely to bring your Mac round and try their video card and see what happens. As chilbear says has to be the card.
QUOTE Thanks
art4tees

art4tees is on a distinguished road

What is a good video card to replace the original 6 yr old card with...
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4 and OS X.10

Depends what style of display you are using.

The ATI Radeon 9000 MAC PRO has ADC/DVI and you should be able to pick up a second habnd one for around $50.00. Try and get the 128MB SDRAM version rather that the 64MB.

If you plan to update the CPU for Leopard,the maybe the 9600.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Does iMac support a second monitor? | video card for G4 Quicksilver 733 Mhz? »