New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

iMac - what hardware should i get preinstalled?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

McMatt

McMatt is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac 24" 2.8GHz Core Duo Extreme, Ipod Touch 16GB

ive been waiting ages to change to a mac and now i can due to funds being here!

im hoping to get the 24" iMac with 2.8Ghz Extreme DUO Core CPU, my only question is what hardware should i get preinstalled? RAM or more hard drive space?

any help apprieciated, sorry for spelling mistakes
QUOTE Thanks
the8thark

the8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3

Don't get extra ram preinstalled by apple. Just stick with the standard. And later you can get more ram from a 3rd party seller and install it yourself. It's an easy process and much cheaper than from apple.

And for hard drive space. If you think the standard amount will be enough for you, I say stick with it. But if not then get apple to upgrade it. As upgrading the hard drive yourself on the new imacs is rather a tricky process, not worth doing in my opinion. Just let apple do it when you order it.
QUOTE Thanks
Ronald S. Jr.

Ronald S. Jr. is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: iMac 24", 2.4GHz, 2GB RAM, 500GB HD, Radeon 2600 PRO 256mb, CS3 Master Collection

I got the 24" with 2gigs of ram and 500 gb drive. I think that's the bare minimum for running my software. Mainly, I'll be running the CS3 Master Collection. I expect this machine to run it seamlessly.
QUOTE Thanks
D3v1L80Y

D3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook

I wouldn't bother upping the internal HD for a desktop computer. Externals are so cheap these days, plus they are very reliable and fast.

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

QUOTE Thanks
Cherokee

Cherokee is a jewel in the roughCherokee is a jewel in the rough

Any "customizing" of your new iMac will delay the shipping a few days. If you're impatient like me, buy it bone stock.

iMac - 2.4 C2D - 4GB RAM | MacBook - 2.0 C2D - 2GB RAM | AirPort Extreme Base Station
QUOTE Thanks
SpLiZaaT

SpLiZaaT is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronald S. Jr. View Post
I got the 24" with 2gigs of ram and 500 gb drive. I think that's the bare minimum for running my software. Mainly, I'll be running the CS3 Master Collection. I expect this machine to run it seamlessly.

so you think you need 500gb to run CS3? haha....you'd be better off spending $50 more at cruciual.com and getting 4gigs of memory for $159 shipped (instead of paying apple 850 for the same amount of ram). Ram makes the biggest difference....never enough!
QUOTE Thanks
Ricky55

Ricky55 is on a distinguished road

i agree with all the comments, CS3 isn't that intensive a suite unless you are dealing with massive files.

2Gb Ram and a 2.8Ghz CPU will be fine.
QUOTE Thanks
Montie Da Champ

Montie Da Champ is an unknown at this point

Stick w/ the 1gig of ram, you can upgrade it by yourself with ease. But i would suggest going for the 2.8ghz extreme. Also, i wouldn't really care about hdd space, you can always get an external.
QUOTE Thanks
bphoenix

bphoenix is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro 15" 2.2/120gb/2gb Santa Rosa - 20" Aluminum Apple Cinema Display

apple charges a ridiculous amount of money for extra hardware especially ram, don't buy it from them.. For example apple charges $4500 to upgrade a mac pro to 16gb of ram. When I can go to macsales and buy 16gb of ram (in 2gb sticks) for $659.99!! Thats a whopping 85% less (if my calculations are right), now i know your not buying that much ram but it just goes to show that you can get it elsewhere for a lot less.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« USB bus speed | g4 Quicksilver power fault »