New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

iMac - IMac Hardisk crash!!

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

jonahdiary

jonahdiary is on a distinguished road

I had purchased an IMac 20" not even a month and the hardisk is suspected crash! I have sent in to service center yesterday.

What should I do? I have no more confident on the computer.

Can I ask for any compensation from apple? Or can I return the IMac? Or 1 to 1 exchange?

QUOTE Thanks
technologist

technologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)

Apple will fix your computer under warranty. You will get back the machine you paid for, with a new hard disk (if that is the problem.)

Hard disks occasionally crash spontaneously, but this is very rare. Apple uses the same hard disks as Dell, HP, and other makers do. It is extremely unlikely that you'd get two failures in a row.
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.10, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Agreed with Technologist. I have had Name Brand hard drives bad right out of the box factory sealed. It's rare but does happen. Apple will take care of it for you.
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz, 16GB memory, OS X.10

And remember - Apple don't make HDD only install brands such as Western Digital, Seagate etc, and any electronic device can fail. It is the nature of the beast and with a new drive all will be well.
QUOTE Thanks
Pixel_Donkey

Pixel_Donkey is on a distinguished road

Awhile back I bought a HD for my PC (cough) and it was faulty straight from the box (bad sectors). I had it replaced, another 2 were faulty after that.

It does happen but have faith in Apple.

It was about time I switched... and I am so glad I did.
QUOTE Thanks
verdejt

verdejt will become famous soon enough

Of all computer components that are likely to fail early the hard drive is the major one. As harryb says manufactures only put in the hard drives they don't make them. I've been in computers for over 20 years and even the big mainframe computers that the military uses, the most common failure is the hard drive. Every hard drive maker has some issues with hard drives. A long time ago Seagate had trouble with a particular model where the logic board on the drive would burn out for no reason. It happens so don't fret just remember to backup your data often, and move on. The main reason most basic computer warranties are 90 days is that if something is going to fail that's when it will happen.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« RAM upgrade for MacPro | Intermittent cut-out »