New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

iMac - Disc won't always eject

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

macfella

macfella is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac OSX 10.5 Leopard

I've been uploading music CDs to iTunes the past couple of days and once every 8-10 discs, my iMac won't eject the disc. Hitting Eject in the control panel won't work, nor will it in the bottom righthand corner of iTunes, nor by pressing command & the E key.

The only way I am able to get the disc to eject when this happens is to restart the computer first.

Has anyone else experienced this problem? Is there some sort of fix for this or do I need to contact Apple about a replacement?
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by macfella View Post
I've been uploading music CDs to iTunes the past couple of days and once every 8-10 discs, my iMac won't eject the disc. Hitting Eject in the control panel won't work, nor will it in the bottom righthand corner of iTunes, nor by pressing command & the E key.

The only way I am able to get the disc to eject when this happens is to restart the computer first.

Has anyone else experienced this problem? Is there some sort of fix for this or do I need to contact Apple about a replacement?
Does it give a message that the disk is in use or just not eject? I have seen another post with a user having similar issues to yours. I am wondering if iTunes is somehow locking the disk and not letting it eject.

You are running 10.5 Leopard correct?

Are you fully updated with iTunes and Quicktime updates?
QUOTE Thanks
macfella

macfella is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac OSX 10.5 Leopard

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtravis7 View Post
Does it give a message that the disk is in use or just not eject? I have seen another post with a user having similar issues to yours. I am wondering if iTunes is somehow locking the disk and not letting it eject.

You are running 10.5 Leopard correct?

Are you fully updated with iTunes and Quicktime updates?
No error message at all. iTunes just won't let me eject the disc. Also of note is that normally when I put a CD in the drive an icon for it shows up on my Desktop. This doesn't happen when this eject problem happens. It's as if iTunes doesn't believe there's a disc to eject.

Yes I'm running 10.5 Leopard.

I will check right now to make sure I have all of the latest updates.

Update: I checked and iTunes is up to date version 7.5, Quicktime was 7.2.1 I've just downloaded version 7.3.
QUOTE Thanks
bryphotoguy

bryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nice
Mac Specs: Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone

I used to have that problem quite frequently with my iMac. I would try any one of the methods and the desktop icon would disappear like it ejected but the disc was still inside the drive.
I never fixed the problem with the iMac.
Occasionally the tray won't eject on my Mac Pro. I just make sure now I hold down the eject button until the tray pops out. This seems to have solved the problem. (Before I figured that out I would just tap the button as if I was typing.)

January 2008 Member of the Month
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Do be sure you are holding the Eject Key down for at least a couple of seconds as there is now a delay built into the system to prevent accidental eject. This is what Bryphotoguy was talking about.
QUOTE Thanks
bphoenix

bphoenix is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro 15" 2.2/120gb/2gb Santa Rosa - 20" Aluminum Apple Cinema Display

I've had this problem on my ibook for a year and a half now... it will just get to the point where you can't eject it at all without manually ejecting it, its not just itunes its your drive. I highly doubt it will get better by itself. Get it fixed if its still under warranty asap (sadly my warranty ran out about 7 months ago).
QUOTE Thanks
bryphotoguy

bryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nice
Mac Specs: Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtravis7 View Post
Do be sure you are holding the Eject Key down for at least a couple of seconds as there is now a delay built into the system to prevent accidental eject. This is what Bryphotoguy was talking about.
I didn't know there was a delay. Good to know.

January 2008 Member of the Month
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Can you use an iMac as a second monitor? | upgrading old iMac g3 »