New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

G5 or Mac Mini

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

joehalfa

joehalfa is on a distinguished road

I am going to buy my family a mac for christmas. I have seen very nice looking G5 isight imacs for the same price as the new intel high end mini. by the way its the 2.1 imac and the 2.0 mini i am referring to. which one is better and which will run leopard faster. I know the mini already has leopard on it and the g5 doesn't. both 1 gb ram but a 500 gb hd vs a 120 gb hd. The imac has built in wireless and bluetooth as does the mini. Which one is better? Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
joehalfa

joehalfa is on a distinguished road

I am going to buy my family a mac for christmas. I have seen very nice looking G5 isight imacs for the same price as the new intel high end mini. by the way its the 2.1 imac and the 2.0 mini i am referring to. which one is better and which will run leopard faster. I know the mini already has leopard on it and the g5 doesn't. both 1 gb ram but a 500 gb hd vs a 120 gb hd. The imac has built in wireless and bluetooth as does the mini. Which one is better? Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
fearlessfreap24

fearlessfreap24 is just really nicefearlessfreap24 is just really nicefearlessfreap24 is just really nicefearlessfreap24 is just really nice
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 13" | MacBook Pro 13" | Mac Mini 2GHz C2D

which mini are you looking at? the 2.0GHZ C2D mini has built-in airport and bluetooth. i would go with the mini if you already have a nice display. the C2D would run OSX.5 alot better than the 2.1 GHz G5. I have a 1.9 G5 and i like my wife's 1.83 CD alot better. you can also inexpensively attach an external drive later on if you need the room.

QUOTE Thanks
Frattimonde

Frattimonde has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: aluminium PowerBook G4 first gen

G5 is nice, however. Intel sucks less juice.

Megatron wants your macintosh.
QUOTE Thanks
Gish

Gish is on a distinguished road

If they already have a monitor and keyboard and such I would go for the Mini.

If not or a CRT monitor, definitely the iMac.
QUOTE Thanks
novicew

novicew is a name known to allnovicew is a name known to allnovicew is a name known to allnovicew is a name known to allnovicew is a name known to allnovicew is a name known to allnovicew is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro | iMac(2.1 G5) | MacBook(2.16 C2D) | MacMini (1.67 CD) | iPhone 4 | iPad (3rd Gen)

For the same price iMac has much more to offer than a MacMini. Though iMac has a G5 processor, running Leopard wont be a problem at all. The iMac also comes with a separate graphic card which would enhance your multimedia experience. Don't forget the Mini is just an entry level Mac. The iMac G5 with iSight is the last upgrade of the power processor series meaning, most bug free of all iMacs. I would go for it.
QUOTE Thanks
MacHeadCase

*Moved thread to proper forum*

*Merged duplicate threads*
QUOTE Thanks
bryphotoguy

bryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nice
Mac Specs: Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone

I would choose the mini over the iMac if you have the LCD, keyboard and mouse already.
The iMac may be an all-in-one system but I assume you're buying it from a 3rd party. If something would to ever go wrong with it in the next year, it will come out of your pocket.
If you buy the mini new it comes with a 1 year warranty, upgradable to 3 if you buy the AppleCare before the first year is over.
The iMac might have the dedicated video card but the Mini will preform a lot faster.
I looked at some Geekbench scores and the Mini almost doubles the performance of the 2.1GHz G5 iMac.

January 2008 Member of the Month
QUOTE Thanks
MACGIRL34

MACGIRL34 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 24" iMac 2.8 GHZ/2GB/320GB/Leopard

I have a 17" Imac Intel core 2 Duo 2.0 GHz and I love it. I have a mac mini 1.83 as well and my Imac is much faster than the mac mini. I like the mini but I prefer imacs...

.Leo my mac kitty... 24" iMac 2.8GHz, Macbook Air 1.8GHZ/2GB/80GB, iPhone 3G 16GB White , iPod Classic 80GB, iPod Nano...
MAC CHAT: macgirl3434 see profile
My site: see profile
QUOTE Thanks
bryphotoguy

bryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nice
Mac Specs: Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone

Quote:
Originally Posted by MACGIRL34 View Post
I have a 17" Imac Intel core 2 Duo 2.0 GHz and I love it. I have a mac mini 1.83 as well and my Imac is much faster than the mac mini. I like the mini but I prefer imacs...
Yea, that is true. A Core 2 Duo iMac would perform better than the older Core Duo Mini. But it doesn't sound like a new iMac is in the budget.

January 2008 Member of the Month
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« just got my new imac! (: | Imac Performance Speed »