Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Specs:
    15" MBP - 24" white iMac - 16gb white iphone3G - 20gb iPod colour
    Connecting to a plasma TV
    Hi,

Not to sure if this is the right section but here it goes.

I'm looking to connect my iMac to my samsung plasma. Whats the best way to do this? the ports that i have on my TV are HDMi, VGA, Scart , and s-video. I connect my mbp to the same tv via the s-video port but this way doesnt give a good picture quality other than when watching movies. Any surgestions?

cheers

Specs:
    15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
    mini-dvi to hdmi will give you the best picture.
    Blog and Photo Gallery: http://philolin.me/

Currently running OS X 10.10

My suggestion is to use the VGA.

I have read about people having problems with getting the TV to display the image properly when using the DVI>HDMI adapters.

Specs:
    Mac's
    I hook my MacBook up to my LCD TV using the Mini DVI -> DVI adapter, then a DVI -> HDMI cable... It's perfect!

Specs:
    Should i get the mini dvi adaptor from apple or just any brand. I did'nt get a mini dvi adaptor with my adaptor

cheers

Specs:
    Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone
    The clearest connection you will get is through a HDMI. I have noticed a bunch of computer places sell Apple's mini DVI to DVI adapter. It should only be $19. Purchase a DVI to HDMI cable as well.
    I had one slight problem the first time I connected my computer to my Samsung but it is super easy to fix. There are settings on my Samsung for 16x9, wide fit, and 4x3 when watching cable, movies and such. Accidentally, I came upon a 4th setting on my TV when I connected to the iMac I had at the time. It was called "Just Scan." The setting only ever appears when I connect it to my computer. On my remote it is the blue button "P. Size." Once I switched my TV to "Just Scan" the image was perfect.
    VGA is a analog connection. I wouldn't recommend it when you're using a digital source and your output will also be digital. S-Video will not provide a much higher quality picture than the standard RCA connection provides and the RCA connection is at the bottom of the list when comparing image quality.

January 2008 Member of the Month

Specs:
    nice one . Gonna get all the leads today

cheers

Specs:
    Hi,

I've just read that the dvi/hdmi will only carry a picture signal so will i have to connect a audio cable from my iMac to my plasma? if so i would imagine that i would have to connect the audio lead to my the microphone port on the iMac but wont this mean that no sound will come thru the iMac speakers as long as it's plugged in?>

cheers

Specs:
    Yes, you would have to disconnect the audio cord from the iMac if you wanted to use the speakers from the iMac.
    DVI is a video only connection.

Specs:
    thanks for clearing that up

cheers

The new iMac has new ports on the back? My iMac wont allow me to do anything, its last years model
    It was about time I switched... and I am so glad I did.

Specs:
    Mac's
    Quote Originally Posted by Pixel_Donkey View Post
    The new iMac has new ports on the back? My iMac wont allow me to do anything, its last years model
    Your iMac has a MINI-DVI port... It's right next to the Ethernet Port... You just need the mini-dvi to DVI adapter. It is Port "1" on the image below:

And what you need looks like this:

Specs:
    Quote Originally Posted by Pixel_Donkey View Post
    I originally had the 2GHz Core Duo model from early 2006. It will work with the mini DVI cord as stated.

Specs:
    Well just got my dvi to hdmi cable and the picture quality is less than perfect. Infact i get a better picture when viewing thru my old composite adapter. Any ideas whats wrong? I've not yet received my mini dvi to dvi adapter from apple yet so i tried on my MBP. I have a dvi to hdmi cable i just plugged the dvi into my MBP and the the hdmi into my samsung. The picture is dark and slighty orange tint? Also i cant get the desktop to fit my samsung screen perfect always to big so the top of the dock can only be viewed? Thinking i should have bought an VGA lead instead now? any ideas?

cheers

Specs:
    Quote Originally Posted by bryphotoguy View Post
    The clearest connection you will get is through a HDMI. I have noticed a bunch of computer places sell Apple's mini DVI to DVI adapter. It should only be $19. Purchase a DVI to HDMI cable as well.
    I had one slight problem the first time I connected my computer to my Samsung but it is super easy to fix. There are settings on my Samsung for 16x9, wide fit, and 4x3 when watching cable, movies and such. Accidentally, I came upon a 4th setting on my TV when I connected to the iMac I had at the time. It was called "Just Scan." The setting only ever appears when I connect it to my computer. On my remote it is the blue button "P. Size." Once I switched my TV to "Just Scan" the image was perfect.
    VGA is a analog connection. I wouldn't recommend it when you're using a digital source and your output will also be digital. S-Video will not provide a much higher quality picture than the standard RCA connection provides and the RCA connection is at the bottom of the list when comparing image quality.
    I assume you didn't tryusing the advice above. Use the remote and change the picture setting. You describe the exact problem I had till I fixed the pic size on my TV. This might help make it look clearer.
    I had to calibrate my TV with my monitor's spyder tool. My TV was slightly blue. But my TV is a lot brighter than my computer monitor.
    I am confused though. You say you have connected to the MBP but you don't have the miniDVIfor the MBP. What do currently have conneted to the TV now??

Thread Information