New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

Which Mac Computer should I get.

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Slammin_SoSo

Hi Guys,

I am new to this forum. I am sad to say I am a PC user. Intel P4 that is. I have used all my life PC and I just cant understand as to why do they crash. They completely blow. Anyhow, since Im thinking of trying out Apple and Im new to it, what Computer should I get...

Please help.. :mad: :eek:
QUOTE Thanks
MoltenLava

Maybe it's not the computers, but it's the way the computers are used? I've also owned a lot of PCs. My computers never crashed since Win2000 came out. Mac OS X is not immune to crashes either. Look into OS X forum for various threads about kernel panics. Personally, I've never had a kernel panic on my four Macs that I own.

The advantange of Mac over PC, in my opinion, is not how less often it crashes. Both Windows and OS X rarely crash if they are properly maintained.

I'm just saying, don't set your expectation such that OS X is rock solid. If you do, and when you see kernel panic the first time, you'll turn into another one of those bitter ex-Mac user saying your new AMD laptop runs circles around dual G5, etc.

However, I think Mac is a lot better than PC in every aspect, so you should definitely get one. What computer you should get depends almost entirely on your budget. How much are you willing to spend, and what's your performance expectation?
QUOTE Thanks
Avalon

Avalon is just really niceAvalon is just really niceAvalon is just really niceAvalon is just really nice
Mac Specs: PowerMac G5 Dual 2GHz (June 2004), 2.5GB, Airport, black 5G iPod 30GB, white MacBook 2.0 2GB

I agree with MoltenLava, no OS is crash-secure, not Windows, not MacOS, not even Linux or Unix...every system can and will crash some time, it's just that Windows systems are known to crash the most. Even if since Win2000 and especially WinXP Windows became very solid, it's still behind the solidness of other systems.
Windows itself is quite solid, and as MoltenLava said, if it's well entertained, it won't crash much. But it's just much easier to mess it up than any other system, that's what makes it so weak to programmers mistakes...
Nevertheless, I still prefer MacOS X, it looks nicer, it's easier to work things around (once you know how to use it and get rid of some Windows habits) and it can do everything Windows does. Of course it's not perfect either, but, in my opinion, a lot better than Windows.

Just keep in mind that you will be using a different OS, which means you need some time to adapt to the way it works. But this time usually is quite short.
QUOTE Thanks
ApplejustWorks

ApplejustWorks is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 15" MacBook Pro & 23" ACD

Welcome to Mac-forums! (*clears voice*...I believe you forgot that...Avalon? Molten?)

First off, what Mac you get mainly depends on major factors: 1. Price. 2. Portability. 3. Power

In order for us to help you, we need to know your thoughts and comments on those three particular areas.

Also, as I see you live in NYC, I believe that your closest Apple Store is the SoHo Apple Store. When you get time, you should go down, and check out the Computers.

Anyway, Welcome to the Apple World; where the grass IS almost always greener!
QUOTE Thanks
Slammin_SoSo

Hi,

I use my pc's for the regualr web surfing, chatting, paying bills, using Itunes and for watching DVD'S. I always get this Kernel. DLL error. I went and called Dell about it. They tried numerous function to get it to work. They asked me if I had downloaded a new file or software lately. Honeslty I did. But it was a software that will let me play DVD's on my pc. But that's about it. Honeslty the pc since I got it from Dell, crashed the first day it arrived. I can say now they sold me a lemon. They refuse to send someone out here( I had a waranty at the time) to check out my pc. Its crashed back and forth and I had to restore it over and over . Well to make a long story short, I called dell again to see if they can try to fix the problem and now my motherboard is corrupted. Whoopy doo..lol
They told me Im not under warranty anymore so they honestly cant do much. Either I replace the motherboard and add more memory to my PC or buy a new PC from DELL. I am sick of it. Im sorry. If you feel that my excuse is not worth it, oh well then don't reply to me. But to me I am going to check out MAC. They may not offer the best as a PC did but probably is good enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon
I agree with MoltenLava, no OS is crash-secure, not Windows, not MacOS, not even Linux or Unix...every system can and will crash some time, it's just that Windows systems are known to crash the most. Even if since Win2000 and especially WinXP Windows became very solid, it's still behind the solidness of other systems.
Windows itself is quite solid, and as MoltenLava said, if it's well entertained, it won't crash much. But it's just much easier to mess it up than any other system, that's what makes it so weak to programmers mistakes...
Nevertheless, I still prefer MacOS X, it looks nicer, it's easier to work things around (once you know how to use it and get rid of some Windows habits) and it can do everything Windows does. Of course it's not perfect either, but, in my opinion, a lot better than Windows.

Just keep in mind that you will be using a different OS, which means you need some time to adapt to the way it works. But this time usually is quite short.
QUOTE Thanks
ApplejustWorks

ApplejustWorks is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 15" MacBook Pro & 23" ACD

I completely agree with you! I also came from a Dell world(I mean Hell). I definetley feel that reason(It's not an excuse ) if good enough...What do you mean by they may not offer the best as a PC but probably good enough?

Also, back to my original post, you only answered one of my three questions!

Question three was basically just to see if you needed a G5, since all the other g4s(basically) are the same. I also need to know if you want portability, and what your price range is..
QUOTE Thanks
PinkPhishDoors

I had a Dell P3 500 mhz a few years back, right before i made the switch... And HOLY $#! it was awful. I had one of those slot loading drives like the ones the iBooks have(or had), and it would keep spitting out CDs ALL THE TIME... So after calling Dell 20 times to get a replacement they finally sent me one, when i opened it .... You won't believed this IT WAS ONE FOR THEIR NOTEBOOKS!! angry i called back ANoTHER 20 times... what do you know they sent me another one but it was for a different Notebook. I called back once more and SCREAMED at the Rep. I have had a Mac ever since. and i am not saying that i haven't had problems with my mac(i had bad RAM) but apple took care of it right away. ISN'T DELL SUPPOSSEDTO HAVE A+ SUPPORT... Yeah right.

Getting back to what you should buy... If you want lots of power and your not on a low budget get a powermac NOW they recently upgraded, and as i mentioned in another thread their Bus speeds are amazing. If you can't afford it, wait 1 more month and then the G5 iMacs will come out.
QUOTE Thanks
witeshark

witeshark will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7

If you want a value the eMac is terrific IMO and refurbs are as good as new generally. Just note that AFAIK the RAM ceiling is 1 gig
QUOTE Thanks
Slammin_SoSo

Response on how much I am willing to spend and which macontosh I am interested in: If I am going to be spending 1500 on a mac it better be an excellent one with everything new and up to date. I don't mind spending 1000 on a mac for example the Imac but i want the G5 which I am hearing will come out in septemeber or so. Also, I was looking into the eMac but I want those Harman Kardon soundsticks and would like to get it with a G5...I honesly don't know. Im so confused :rolleyes: :confused: Can anyone compare them all..

:mad:
Quote:
Originally Posted by witeshark
If you want a value the eMac is terrific IMO and refurbs are as good as new generally. Just note that AFAIK the RAM ceiling is 1 gig
QUOTE Thanks
witeshark

witeshark will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7

I would sure have a look at the iMac G5s
QUOTE Thanks
Icarus

Quote:
Originally Posted by witeshark
I would sure have a look at the iMac G5s
LOL.

Go for those Powermac G6's while you're at it.

seriously though - I wouldn't get a powermac - too expensive for what you want to do...(unless you're looking for something to edit on) but wait till the imac comes out in September, that's supposed to be a G5.
QUOTE Thanks
Slammin_SoSo

Hi Guys

I think im going to check out the eMac.. It works better for me (price) and is compatible with the Harmon Kardon soundsticks as well.. Teehee

I don't need a dvd burner but a dvd player and a cd burner.
What do you think

512mb
80gb?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icarus
LOL.

Go for those Powermac G6's while you're at it.

seriously though - I wouldn't get a powermac - too expensive for what you want to do...(unless you're looking for something to edit on) but wait till the imac comes out in September, that's supposed to be a G5.
QUOTE Thanks
rman

rman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 2 x 3.0GHz Quad-Core, 6GB OS X 10.6.8 | 15in MacBook Pro 2.2GHz OS X 10.6.8 | 64GB iPad 2 WiFi

If you can afford it, get the superdrive. You may not use it now, but in the future, it just might come in handy. It can be useful if you need to make a 4GB back up (better than 8 CDs).

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, It's about learning to dance in the rain!
QUOTE Thanks
Slammin_SoSo

What do you mean a 4gb backup?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rman
If you can afford it, get the superdrive. You may not use it now, but in the future, it just might come in handy. It can be useful if you need to make a 4GB back up (better than 8 CDs).
QUOTE Thanks
Icarus

each DVD can hold 4 gigs, instead of the 700mb that a CD can hold. So he's saying that 8 CD's can fit inside (Not physically, dumbass...) of a DVD-R.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Used system discs from newer G4 to put on older G4 | No system disks »