New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

Power Mac - Ram questions

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

jhammer619

jhammer619 is on a distinguished road

I have a 2005 G5 Dual-2.5Ghz, and I need more memory now. I currently have 1 gig filled by 4x256MB chips. I was told that I shouldn't fill up all 8 of my slots to prevent hardware failure. I need atleast 2 or 3 gig, but I don't where I start getting diminishing returns. (Theoretically I could buy 8x2GB and get 16 GIG ram, which I think is bad)

I have two questions:
How much can my computer take?
And what brand? (Kingston? Corsair?)

Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
alexmaccoll

alexmaccoll is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 20" intel iMac, 15" MBP, 3 X 13.3" MB (family etc), G4 tower, 12" G4 PowerBook, iBook G4, 20" iMacG5

The claims about hardware problems is utter rubbish - we have several G5s at 8GB (8X1GB) and have had no problems for 3 years.

The maximum ram you can get is 8GB over 8 slots. You need 1GB PC3200 400MHz 184 pin Sticks, LOW DENSITY.

If you check on crucial.com - you can find some really good prices. If what you do is heavy duty I would definitely recommend maxxing out.

Otherwise, get 4 or 6 1GB chips instead. Remember they have to be equally laid out (1 on one side, 1 on other, etc etc)

Hope this helps!

Alex
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« mmd dual 867 dvd operation | imac, is it worth it? »