New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

iMac 20" Flat Panel Video Card Upgrade?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

rezurrekta

Just curious, I have the new iMac (A Year Old). And it came with a 64MB video card. I was wondering is there anyway you can take your iMac to the Apple Store and pay them to upgrade your iMac to a 256MB Video Card?

All feedback is welcome and appreciated!

Thanx
QUOTE Thanks
rberry88

rberry88 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 17" Flat Panel iMac -15" 1.5GHz, 80GB HDD, 128MB ATI video card, 1GB RAM- PowerBook

Nope, you would have to replace the whole motherboard since the graphics card-like hardware is soldered on the the mainboard.

Looking for a PowerMac G4 for $500 or less USD.
QUOTE Thanks
rezurrekta

Quote:
Originally Posted by rberry88
Nope, you would have to replace the whole motherboard since the graphics card-like hardware is soldered on the the mainboard.
So it would be possible. I would have to replace the motherboard, right? But they could be able to do it right?
QUOTE Thanks
rberry88

rberry88 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 17" Flat Panel iMac -15" 1.5GHz, 80GB HDD, 128MB ATI video card, 1GB RAM- PowerBook

I haven't heard about any motherboard upgrades (that would include video upgrades) that are available for the iMac. You might want to check the support->discussions boards over at apple.com or call Apple support directly to confirm it.

Looking for a PowerMac G4 for $500 or less USD.
QUOTE Thanks
rezurrekta

Quote:
Originally Posted by rberry88
I haven't heard about any motherboard upgrades (that would include video upgrades) that are available for the iMac. You might want to check the support->discussions boards over at apple.com or call Apple support directly to confirm it.
I'll definitley check that out. Thanx for the help!
QUOTE Thanks
Padawan

Padawan has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 14" iBook G3 900/640/40 _ _ Power Macintosh G3 All-In-One 315/768/20 _ _ 20 GB iPod

Quote:
Originally Posted by rezurrekta
So it would be possible. I would have to replace the motherboard, right? But they could be able to do it right?
No, they wouldn't be able to do it. No G4 iMac was available with 256MB video, so even if you didn't mind going through the huge expense of buying an entire new motherboard from Apple, there would be nowhere for that motherboard to come from, since it doesn't exist in the first place. If you want upgradeable graphics for your Mac, my honest suggestion would be to sell the iMac and purchase some form of Power Mac, which features separately upgradeable video (among other things).

~ Support the LANCE ARMSTRONG FOUNDATION -- LAF.org ~

Do you drive a Civic, Del Sol, or Integra & want more power & tighter steering feel? Click here for my inexpensive DIY Power-Steering Removal Kits.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« g3 freezes during sit time | G5 Hardrive »