New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

Mac Pro - second 7300 or ati?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Cam

Cam is an unknown at this point

I currently have just one geforce 7300 gt in my 2.0ghz mac pro. It struggles. Should I buy a second 7300 and run them in sli mode (which is possible yes? and in windows more importantly?) or the the 512mb ati card the replace it with. I've no idea about prices for these, could someone (in the UK) enlighten me? Where can I buy them as well? I've only had a quick search online, but I didn't spot any apple formatted cards...

thanks
QUOTE Thanks
bryphotoguy

bryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nice
Mac Specs: Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone

A 2nd 7300GT would be the cheaper way to go. I just saw one sold on eBay for $53 USD. I didn't want to bid that high for such an inferior card (and yes I own one.)
I am not sure what SLI mode really is seeing I haven't used Windows in a year and didn't own a computer that supported SLI. So I can't help you there.
The X1900 is a far superior card. I did a google search last week and found a few places selling the Mac Pro version for $379 USD.

January 2008 Member of the Month
QUOTE Thanks
Kash

Kash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G

An X1900 will blow away two 7300s in SLI mode. So if you want to play games or just need lots of 3D horsepower, go for the X1900.

June 2007
July 2009
QUOTE Thanks
bryphotoguy

bryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nice
Mac Specs: Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone

One Link (Canadian)
Cheapest Link
Nextag Comparison Site

I would think that if the rumors are true and the new Mac Pro comes out in March or sometime around there, the will be new, faster video cards in them. I haven't kept up on all the newest technologies but it would seem likely the new video cards would work in the current Mac Pros.
Only Steve Jobs really knows though.

January 2008 Member of the Month
QUOTE Thanks
Wilcon

Wilcon is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: Mac Pro Quad Core 2.66, ATI 1900, 5 GB RAM, 750 GB Storage

The ATI X1900 is more money but a great video card. I have it and love it.

There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary and those who don't.

There are two types of IT problems in the world. PEBKAC and ID 10 T's.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Is this a good deal? | 1.5 gig G4 video ram »