New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

iMac - How long does your iMac takes to start up?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

seasurfer

seasurfer is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: 24'' iMac 2.8 GHz, 4 Gig RAM, 500 GB HD. 15.4'' MBP, 2.6 GHz, 4 Gig RAM, 200GB HD, iPhone 8GB.

I have a 2.8Ghz, 4Gig RAM, using Leopard 10.5.1. I calculated my start up time today, it is 34 seconds. I find it a bit slow, as I have run Windows XP within 30 seconds before with poorer hardware spec than my current iMac.

Would like to ask everyone here what is your start up time? Is mine normal? or is it too slow? Is there anyway to hasten it? Thanks a lot.
QUOTE Thanks
D3v1L80Y

D3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook

My two cents:

Quote:
Originally Posted by seasurfer View Post
I have a 2.8Ghz, 4Gig RAM, using Leopard 10.5.1. I calculated my start up time today, it is 34 seconds. I find it a bit slow, as I have run Windows XP within 30 seconds before with poorer hardware spec than my current iMac.
First of all, pitting the load times of two very different operating systems against each other as if they were equals or even using the two in some vague point of comparison is completely irrelevant. The hardware specs they are running makes no difference either, because the software works and uses said hardware in totally different ways.

Additionally, any boot time for any computer running any OS that is less than a minute is pretty darn good. The four second variance you listed is far less time than it would for you to read this post, thereby making it a fairly negligible variance in my book. Four seconds of your time is not going to make or break a thing. Even sixty seconds of your time is not going to cause you any major delays or "waste" any time.

Lastly, the Mac OS is really meant to be running all the time. There is little need to ever actually shut down the computer completely. If you are going to be away for an extended period of time, simply put the computer to sleep. That way when you return, a tap of the keyboard or mouse will bring the computer back to a state of readiness almost instantaneously.

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS IPad1

Very well said DB. I have had endless discussions with people who feel a computers speed is it's Boot Time. Nothing can be farther from the truth. I have seen very messed up XP systems take 3 minutes to boot but once there they would rip or encode Video way faster than some other systems that booted in 20 seconds. Booting speed rarely has anything to do with CPU speed in most cases.

I have a AMD 64 Gaming system with XP SP2 that I keep very simple and clean and it boots in 10-12 seconds to the desktop. But I have a Mac Mini Core Duo 1.66Ghz and it boots up just as fast, 10-12 seconds. No joke. I run no startup programs and run Onyx or MainMenu to keep the OS running smooth. The slowest booting mac is my iBook G4 and even it's 45 seconds. I am more concerned what happens once at the desktop when doing real work!!
QUOTE Thanks
seasurfer

Mac Specs: 24'' iMac 2.8 GHz, 4 Gig RAM, 500 GB HD. 15.4'' MBP, 2.6 GHz, 4 Gig RAM, 200GB HD, iPhone 8GB.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtravis7 View Post
Very well said DB. I have had endless discussions with people who feel a computers speed is it's Boot Time. Nothing can be farther from the truth. I have seen very messed up XP systems take 3 minutes to boot but once there they would rip or encode Video way faster than some other systems that booted in 20 seconds. Booting speed rarely has anything to do with CPU speed in most cases.

I have a AMD 64 Gaming system with XP SP2 that I keep very simple and clean and it boots in 10-12 seconds to the desktop. But I have a Mac Mini Core Duo 1.66Ghz and it boots up just as fast, 10-12 seconds. No joke. I run no startup programs and run Onyx or MainMenu to keep the OS running smooth. The slowest booting mac is my iBook G4 and even it's 45 seconds. I am more concerned what happens once at the desktop when doing real work!!
How do you make it boot in 10-12 seconds? Please teach me your method.

Actually the reason I brought up this post is because I feel that my newly bought iMac seems a little slow, it is just my feeling.
QUOTE Thanks
seasurfer

Quote:
Originally Posted by D3v1L80Y View Post
My two cents:

First of all, pitting the load times of two very different operating systems against each other as if they were equals or even using the two in some vague point of comparison is completely irrelevant. The hardware specs they are running makes no difference either, because the software works and uses said hardware in totally different ways.

Additionally, any boot time for any computer running any OS that is less than a minute is pretty darn good. The four second variance you listed is far less time than it would for you to read this post, thereby making it a fairly negligible variance in my book. Four seconds of your time is not going to make or break a thing. Even sixty seconds of your time is not going to cause you any major delays or "waste" any time.

Lastly, the Mac OS is really meant to be running all the time. There is little need to ever actually shut down the computer completely. If you are going to be away for an extended period of time, simply put the computer to sleep. That way when you return, a tap of the keyboard or mouse will bring the computer back to a state of readiness almost instantaneously.
But the question is why am I starting slow? I understand this has nothing to do with speed. But why am I starting up so slow?
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS IPad1

Some systems just boot up faster, but do check for startup items in Users. Run MainMenu and run the scripts. If you leave it on 24 a day they will run on their own.

For some reason that Mini always was fast at booting up. Way faster than my G5 iMac in fact.

For the record it takes 4-5 more seconds for Leopard to boot to the desktop than Tiger. More going on. Does not bug me in the least.
QUOTE Thanks
seasurfer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtravis7 View Post
Some systems just boot up faster, but do check for startup items in Users. Run MainMenu and run the scripts. If you leave it on 24 a day they will run on their own.

For some reason that Mini always was fast at booting up. Way faster than my G5 iMac in fact.

For the record it takes 4-5 more seconds for Leopard to boot to the desktop than Tiger. More going on. Does not bug me in the least.
Thanks for replying me.

Where to run Main Menu and the scripts? Thanks.
QUOTE Thanks
the8thark

the8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3

Well my old 512K mac from way back in the 80's. I had it in the 90's though. And it started up in like 15 seconds or less. No joke. The same for the SE I had. Kinda funny that. But back on topic. My imac from pressing the button till the desktop (time taken to type my password removed) is about 30 seconds which I think is rather good. This is with 2 GB of ram. When it had only one it took about 40 seconds.
QUOTE Thanks
giulio

giulio is just really nicegiulio is just really nicegiulio is just really nicegiulio is just really nice
Mac Specs: iMac 5.1 | iMac 7.1 | iPod Touch | iPod Nano

Lots of ram will make a computer start up slower. It has to be tested/counted before it is used.
My neighbor's iMac has 512 and it restarts in 10 seconds. My iMac has 2GB and takes at least 20 seconds to boot.
QUOTE Thanks
seasurfer

Can someone kindly teach me how to check what is run during start up? and how to close it down? Thanks in advance.
QUOTE Thanks
Fallooza

Fallooza has a brilliant futureFallooza has a brilliant futureFallooza has a brilliant futureFallooza has a brilliant futureFallooza has a brilliant futureFallooza has a brilliant futureFallooza has a brilliant futureFallooza has a brilliant futureFallooza has a brilliant futureFallooza has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by seasurfer View Post
Can someone kindly teach me how to check what is run during start up? and how to close it down? Thanks in advance.
i could but not answerin peoples questions saves my 10-15 seconds per post.
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fallooza View Post
i could but not answerin peoples questions saves my 10-15 seconds per post.
Fallooza, always funny!

You open System Preferences, Accounts and look for the Login Items tab. Those are the apps that are starting up with OSX.
QUOTE Thanks
giulio

giulio is just really nicegiulio is just really nicegiulio is just really nicegiulio is just really nice
Mac Specs: iMac 5.1 | iMac 7.1 | iPod Touch | iPod Nano

After a restart, launch Terminal and enter the command "top"...
Quote:
$ top
That will tell you every running process, prior to you launching any.
QUOTE Thanks
Airborneforest

Airborneforest is an unknown at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by D3v1L80Y View Post
My two cents:

This is 'true-ish' with all computers. Hard drives are designed to be running all the time. However, computers do need to be shut down and restarted on occasion to reset/drain the memory and clear it from any errors. Depending on how much you use your computer. Typically I would do a shut down ever month for just a couple of minutes.

I know some computers do have trouble with the sleep process though.

Does the iMac just have a monitor sleep function or is it a CPU/hardrrive/monitor sleep?
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneforest View Post
Does the iMac just have a monitor sleep function or is it a CPU/hardrrive/monitor sleep?
Both actually. You can set it just to shut off the display, but sleep on a Mac puts it all to sleep. Internet drops, lights on my USB 2.0 Hubs go out. Wakes up quite fast though.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Is the 2.8ghz worth it? | just got my new imac! (: »