New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

Power Mac - External Raid storage help!

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

jmoar

jmoar is on a distinguished road

hey there!

I have a G5 2.7Ghz unit with the original twin 400Gb drives. I have a huge audio library that won't even fit on the one drive. I currently use a single external drive for help, but I also do a lot of photography and a small amount of video and just need more space.

I need to add some type of external drive assembly that can have a RAID5 configuration with 2-3TB of storage. I really want to use the firewire 800 connection or something faster (ESATA), but I was told the E-sata is not a possibility. I really don't know too much, but want the storage and would like to access it as fast as possible.

What do I do? Who knows of a high quality manufacturer or equipment that will work? The one i really wanted at G-Technologies is called G Speed eS, but they say it will only work with the new mac pro. Please help me find the solution. I don't want to have to buy a new computer! Any help is much appreciated.

Ok, below is a link to the drive I was going to buy when i was told it wouldn't work. Can anyone look at it and let me know if there is a way? I talked to someone at the mfg and she said she didn't think there was a way. That just doesn't seem right, but they said it would only run with the intel chip so perhaps it's legit. This is the type of enclosure system i want so any suggestions would be great!

thanks again

http://www.g-technology.com/Products/G-SPEED-eS.cfm

thanks a heep!
QUOTE Thanks
Chilbear

Chilbear is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2xiMac24 w Parallels 6 (1x White, 1x Aluminum), iPhone 3GS with iOS5

At the kind of money and investment on the drives, you should step back and invest some time in options. You are buying a computer even though it does not look like one. A small server either Mac or WinBloze is what this actually is. A RAID 5 is the minimum I would go and it needs 6 drives to get to RAID 5. You need lots of fans and cooling power.

The product may be perfect but investigate carefully. Redundancy is a good thing for a large server which this is. I have a RAID 5 Windows 2000 Server that has been on for almost 7 years. Drives have failed, power supplies have failed and yes the RAID has failed. Expect it and plan for it. You will also need a backup strategy. Cost is not the first priority - it is safety of the stored product.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« B&W G3 Hard disc size (How big can it be?) | Can you get the imac thumpin'? »