Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: rev a vram

  1. #1
    daspoint
    Guest
    rev a vram
    Hey out there, I just installed 4 meg of vram into my newly aquired rev A bondi --- also installed 256 M of ram into the extra ram slot. On the profiler ( OS 9.2.2 ) the ram shows up as 288 -- 32+ 256 -- this is good. The Vram however is not showing up --question : Will the Vram in Show up as a changed value in the profiler ..... change from 2 to 6M ?
    Please let me know , thanks.

  2. #2
    rev a  vram
    Padawan's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jul 21, 2003
    Location
    Coruscant, Galactic Republic
    Posts
    1,185
    Specs:
    14" iBook G3 900/640/40 _ _ Power Macintosh G3 All-In-One 315/768/20 _ _ 20 GB iPod
    Quote Originally Posted by daspoint
    Hey out there, I just installed 4 meg of vram into my newly aquired rev A bondi --- also installed 256 M of ram into the extra ram slot. On the profiler ( OS 9.2.2 ) the ram shows up as 288 -- 32+ 256 -- this is good. The Vram however is not showing up --question : Will the Vram in Show up as a changed value in the profiler ..... change from 2 to 6M ?
    Please let me know , thanks.
    I'll have to check in OS 9, but in Jaguar, the additional VRAM showed up on my G3 AIO. I'll check later and let you know.
    ~ Support the LANCE ARMSTRONG FOUNDATION -- LAF.org ~

    Do you drive a Civic, Del Sol, or Integra & want more power & tighter steering feel? Click here for my inexpensive DIY Power-Steering Removal Kits.

  3. #3
    Badger
    Guest
    The VRAM should show up in System Profiler as one block of 6mgs. Did you push the cuda/reset button after you put in the VRAM?
    Badger

  4. #4
    rev a  vram
    Padawan's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jul 21, 2003
    Location
    Coruscant, Galactic Republic
    Posts
    1,185
    Specs:
    14" iBook G3 900/640/40 _ _ Power Macintosh G3 All-In-One 315/768/20 _ _ 20 GB iPod
    Yes, I just checked in OS 9, and using System Profiler, under the "System Profile" tab, the Memory Overview section lists Video Memory as 6 MB.
    ~ Support the LANCE ARMSTRONG FOUNDATION -- LAF.org ~

    Do you drive a Civic, Del Sol, or Integra & want more power & tighter steering feel? Click here for my inexpensive DIY Power-Steering Removal Kits.

  5. #5
    rev a  vram
    rberry88's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jun 24, 2004
    Location
    Arlington Heights, IL USA
    Posts
    476
    Specs:
    17" Flat Panel iMac -15" 1.5GHz, 80GB HDD, 128MB ATI video card, 1GB RAM- PowerBook
    It should show up as 6MB vram in system profiler. I just added RAM,VRAM and a Hard drive to an old 233 MHz rev. A imac a few weeks ago and it showed up right away. Like Badger stated, you have to remember to push that little reset button in order to use the new upgrade(s).
    Looking for a PowerMac G4 for $500 or less USD.

  6. #6
    Just A Muggle
    Guest
    Smile Upgrades
    Hey rberry88, What Brand & Type of Hard drive did you install in your old Rev A. iMac??? I need to install my 3rd hard drive on my old Rev.A iMac and was wondering if you had a reccomendation?? My current Maxtor Diamond Max 45GB 7200rpm drive is nearly dead in the water. Thanks.


    Quote Originally Posted by rberry88
    It should show up as 6MB vram in system profiler. I just added RAM,VRAM and a Hard drive to an old 233 MHz rev. A imac a few weeks ago and it showed up right away. Like Badger stated, you have to remember to push that little reset button in order to use the new upgrade(s).

  7. #7
    rev a  vram
    rberry88's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jun 24, 2004
    Location
    Arlington Heights, IL USA
    Posts
    476
    Specs:
    17" Flat Panel iMac -15" 1.5GHz, 80GB HDD, 128MB ATI video card, 1GB RAM- PowerBook
    I installed a Seagate 80GB 7200rpm ATA100 hard drive in my Rev. A iMac. It's quieter and I find the Seagate hard drives don't run as hot for some reason as opposed to the Western Digital hard drive I tried first. With the WD drive in, the back top of the iMac would get extremely hot even though the fan was blowing like crazy. I put the Seagate HD in and it doesn't get near as hot.
    Looking for a PowerMac G4 for $500 or less USD.

  8. #8
    Just A Muggle
    Guest
    Smile
    Thanks for the advice. Yesterday, I purchased a Seagate 160GB Ultra ATA/100 hard drive. I'm planning on installing it this weekend, maybe Sunday. Is there anything different on the Seagate Drive VS. the WD drive I should be aware of. Jumper pins different?? Different initialize procedure, that sort of thing?? I'd really appreciate any information to make it go smoothly. Thanks from a novice installer.


    Quote Originally Posted by rberry88
    I installed a Seagate 80GB 7200rpm ATA100 hard drive in my Rev. A iMac. It's quieter and I find the Seagate hard drives don't run as hot for some reason as opposed to the Western Digital hard drive I tried first. With the WD drive in, the back top of the iMac would get extremely hot even though the fan was blowing like crazy. I put the Seagate HD in and it doesn't get near as hot.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. where has my vram gone? :P
    By ClarkeFace in forum Switcher Hangout
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 08-25-2013, 09:29 PM
  2. How can I get more VRAM
    By cornhuskerkid in forum Switcher Hangout
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 03-07-2012, 09:44 AM
  3. Can anyone help with Vram?
    By Nina in forum Switcher Hangout
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 05-19-2007, 01:48 PM
  4. What is the difference between 64MB VRAM and 128MB VRAM?
    By prostuff1 in forum Apple Notebooks
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-07-2005, 04:52 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •