New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

Power Mac - Firwire card not responding on g4

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

warmmmilk

warmmmilk is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: dual 1.25ghz power mac G4 w/OSX Tiger, Old imac g3 w/OS9

My computer is not responding to anything that I plug into it through firwire (800). I noticed the problem when I tried to connected my digi 002 and my computer didn't respond. Then I tried to connect my external lacie hd and it didn't respond. I know its not the cable or either the digi 002 or lacie because all work with my other computer.
So I am guessing I need a new firewire card for my power mac g4, right?
If this is so, how do I know which firewire card I need. I've searched online at severel different sites and at the apple store. The apple store only seems to offer the 400 firewire card and the one I need is 800.
Another concern of mine is that I am not exactly sure how to install the new firewire card seeing that I opened up my computer a saw that there are other things blocking the way to my firewire card. Does anyone know how to do this properly?
Thank you for your help.
QUOTE Thanks
SpindleX

SpindleX is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac Alum 20'' 2.4GHz | iMac G4 | iPod Silver Nano 2GB

Has the FW card previously worked in the machine? What type of G4 do you have and what FW card are you using? I found this link for Digi 002 requirements, it may help.

http://archive.digidesign.com/compat.../002/g4agp.cfm
QUOTE Thanks
warmmmilk

I have a Dual 1.25 GHz Power Mac G4 FW800. Its not my digi 002 compatibility. That has worked for four+ years with this computer. Just recently the connection has stop working. I am thinking that the problem is that my FW800 is not working anymore and I need to replace it. At least that's the only logical explanation I can come up with. Does anyone know how to replace this properly? Thanks for the help.
QUOTE Thanks
SpindleX

SpindleX is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac Alum 20'' 2.4GHz | iMac G4 | iPod Silver Nano 2GB

In that case, the 'Logic Board' would have to be replaced to resolve this as the FW800 port is integrated on the Logic Board.

Or..purchase a FW800 PCI card.
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Just a slim chance but it could be something in the OS like a driver. One never knows. I would do an Archive and Install and if the FW800 port is still dead, then I would try and find a Firewire 800 PCI card that is OSX compatible.

SpindleX is right, it's part of the Logic (Motherboard) as far as I know.
QUOTE Thanks
warmmmilk

I'm not quite sure what you mean by do an archive. Could you explain? As for a pci card, I think I found one that is compatible. http://youtube.com/watch?v=npbftGodGGI
btw, thanks for your posts. They have been REALLY helpful.
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

When you install OSX you are given 3 options. Right after you select the Hard Drive to install to there is an Options button or advanced. Press that and there should be Upgrade, Archive and Install, Erase and Install. Erase formats the drive, Upgrade just does a basic upgrade, Archive and Install preserves your settings and installs OSX new and makes an archive of the old install that you can later delete when you know all is well. That way you will not loose a thing.
QUOTE Thanks
warmmmilk

Thanks. I'll try it out!
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

Quote:
Originally Posted by warmmmilk View Post
Thanks. I'll try it out!
If you have no firewire after the A&I install then it must be your FW800 on the board died.
QUOTE Thanks
warmmmilk

dtravis 7 you were right. After I reinstalled my OS it recognized my firewire. Thank you so much! I owe you one.
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

Quote:
Originally Posted by warmmmilk View Post
dtravis 7 you were right. After I reinstalled my OS it recognized my firewire. Thank you so much! I owe you one.
Hey, glad to hear it worked! Saves you some $$$ also!

Good going.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« mmd dual 867 internet hang | general cpu question »