New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

iMac - unresponsive button

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

hellfried

hellfried is on a distinguished road

does anyone find that the 'on' button at the back of the 20" aluminium imac to be not very responsive? i have to press it twice in order to turn the machine on.

My blog : Days of Our Life
QUOTE Thanks
MacHeadCase

Your iMac is obviously still under warranty so give Apple Care a call.

My iMac G5 launches as soon as I press on the button, no need to press twice and I would guess this is normal behaviour, never had a Mac that needed the button pressed twice.
QUOTE Thanks
Aptmunich

Aptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2

Are you sure your Mac isn't sleeping when you press the button?
QUOTE Thanks
Bruki

Bruki will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: imac 20" 2GHz Intel 2GB RAM, iPod Classic 80Gb, iPhone

I also have 20" iMac & it always responds 1st time for me, if its still under you should get it checked out as it may only get worse & if this happens after your warranty expires you could be looking at hefty payout to get it fixed
QUOTE Thanks
SIDTURBO

SIDTURBO is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 24" IMAC ALU, 2.8GHZ, 4GB ram, 750gb HD, Leopard OSX.

Hi,
Yeah..... I have just got my new Alu Imac to replace my white one and I too find it to be a bit unresponsive..... my old white Imac needed just a slight touch.... this one needs a few hard presses.... sometimes I wonder if I am switching it on and off as I have to press it several times.
I will wait and see if it becomes too much of a pain before ringing Apple.
QUOTE Thanks
hellfried

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aptmunich View Post
Are you sure your Mac isn't sleeping when you press the button?
i shut down my imac every night ie turn off the switch on my power point. every morning i turn on the switch and then my imac. so it cannot be sleeping.
sorry to say so, sidturbo, but i don't feel so alone now with this issue.

QUOTE Thanks
imacre

imacre is on a distinguished road

My iMac is always responsive when I press the on button.
QUOTE Thanks
the8thark

the8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellfried View Post
i shut down my imac every night ie turn off the switch on my power point. every morning i turn on the switch and then my imac. so it cannot be sleeping.
sorry to say so, sidturbo, but i don't feel so alone now with this issue.
Can I ask why you do this every night, switch of the power point as well as your mac?
QUOTE Thanks
SIDTURBO

SIDTURBO is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 24" IMAC ALU, 2.8GHZ, 4GB ram, 750gb HD, Leopard OSX.

Hi Hellfried,

Glad you feel some comfort but like you I switch my Imac off via powerpoint and on the next day....... Global warming but mainly to save money on juice cos I have a power saver multi-plug adapter that switches all my electric devices off once i press the remote OFF button. Nothing on standby in this house anymore !

That Imac button is definitely much less responsive though. I never know if I have pressed it hard enough or not. Annoying....
QUOTE Thanks
hellfried

Quote:
Originally Posted by the8thark View Post
Can I ask why you do this every night, switch of the power point as well as your mac?
i think sidturbo answered on my behalf. curious to know what u do though.

QUOTE Thanks
the8thark

the8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3

I shutdown my machine every night. I never leave it on unless I'm infront of it or it's downloading something. It's just an old habit from the days when I had a pre G3 powermac. It didn't have a sleep function.
QUOTE Thanks
hellfried

Quote:
Originally Posted by the8thark View Post
I shutdown my machine every night. I never leave it on unless I'm infront of it or it's downloading something. It's just an old habit from the days when I had a pre G3 powermac. It didn't have a sleep function.
then u will understand why i do what i do. i just feel its such a waste of power to leave my wifi router and modem and the mac on at night when i am not doing anything with them. i only leave them on when i am downloading a huge file.

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« mmd dual 867 memory question | 2 X 10K Drive Raid 0 vs Single 15K Non-Raid »