New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

iMac - 20" Aluminum iMac Overheating?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

MediaMurder

MediaMurder is on a distinguished road

Hey guys, Im wondering a few things...
Im a multi-media student, I bought a new iMac (specs below), Im running everything from after effects, photoshop and cinema 4d to logic pro8 and reason... Lots of stuff, But im wondering if anyone has had any heating issues. Right now it says my computer is running anywhere from 50 to 75 celcius, Im really wanting this computer to last and Im wondering if anyone has any good ideas or knows of any good products that will lower my temperature by like 10 degrees??

Right now I just have a little fan sitting behind it but I dont think that it's doing too much cooling (other than keeping me cool).

My specs:

iMac (20')
Core 2 duo 2.4 ghz
2 GB ram (667)
Radeon 256 graphics card
300 GB hard drive

My software:

Cinema 4D
Creative suite CS3
Logic pro 8
Reason 3.0

THANKS!
QUOTE Thanks
Montie Da Champ

Montie Da Champ is an unknown at this point

The problem i see is that you probably don't have enough ram to run these programs. They are highly memory intensive. You shoudl probably move your computer to a more well ventilated area, or upgrade your ram.

When my computer runs hot i usually just shut it down, put a fan on it for a while, and then come back 5 minutes later and resume from a fresh start up.

(thats w/ a windows pc though) i'm not getting a mac for a few weeks.
QUOTE Thanks
bennjiboi

bennjiboi is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: iMac 27" 3.06Ghz 4G Ram| iPhone 3G 8Gb

You could always try a fan control program like smcFanControl.

It gives you the choice to change the fan speed so when you think it's running a little hotter then you would like simply turn up the fan and wa-la.

That's what i tend to do anyway.. but i'll admit i don't run the programs you do..

Ram would help performance but I cant say it will help the heat.

Stanton ATM 6 active monitors | Canon 450D | Razer Sphex
QUOTE Thanks
D3v1L80Y

D3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook

It isn't overheating. If it had overheated, it would have shut down automatically as a protective measure.

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

QUOTE Thanks
the8thark

the8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3

At what temperatures does a mac thinking about shutting itself down as a precautionary measure?
QUOTE Thanks
bennjiboi

bennjiboi is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: iMac 27" 3.06Ghz 4G Ram| iPhone 3G 8Gb

lol I'd love to know too..

Or at what temp if it doesn't decide to shut it's self down should you shut it down..

I personally don't let my MacBook run much over 55C

Stanton ATM 6 active monitors | Canon 450D | Razer Sphex
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by D3v1L80Y View Post
It isn't overheating. If it had overheated, it would have shut down automatically as a protective measure.
Ditto.....

If you're going to use your computer for highly intensive CPU or GPU tasks it is going to heat up. A lot of encoding and 3d intensive games are both going to take the temps to the 70C mark.

Am not going to go check now, but according to my now getting senile mind, the shut off temp was something around 85C the last time I went looking for it.

Have used my MBP for hours at a time (6-10 hrs) on too many occasions to count running at 70 - 72C.

All of this temp thing comes from the windows side and all of the folks trying to overclock their CPU's (and I are one) and trying to get a stable speed from a processor that you're pushing to the limit. For the rest of you just using your computer at the speeds it was designed for - quit worrying, be happy.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
brian67

brian67 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 24" iMac, 2.4GHz C2D, 4 GB RAM, 320 GB hard drive, OS X 10.5.1

Like the others have stated. It was made to run at those temps. If it gets too hot, it will shut itself down. 75C is safe.
QUOTE Thanks
imacre

imacre is on a distinguished road

I have a 24" Aluminum and it goes to 70C
QUOTE Thanks
Alexis

Alexis is a jewel in the roughAlexis is a jewel in the roughAlexis is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo

Quote:
At what temperatures does a mac thinking about shutting itself down as a precautionary measure?
Nobody can get it to shut down at the critical temperature because it's impossible to get near it, because it's designed not to overheat!!

Like PC BIOS's, the EFI probably has 85C or so at a shutdown temperature.
QUOTE Thanks
GregoriusM

GregoriusM is on a distinguished road

Hi.

I bought a refurbished iMac which ran extremely hot on the top left and the top left back. I returned it to Apple, and received a replacement. This is the last version of the aluminum iMac just before the ones currently shipping.

2.4 GHz C2Duo, 1 GB RAM, 320 HD, Radeon 2500 Pro Graphics

My second machine still gets quite hot just using it for web surfing and instant messaging, and nothing else.

Here are the operating temperatures of the machine according to iStat Pro:

Sitting idle:

HD - 50C
CPU A - 38C
GPU - 49C
GPU Diode - 52C
GPU Heatsink - 49C
Ambient - 25C
Memory Controller - 41C

The next set of temperaatures is just for having Firefox open and surfing the web, and an instant messenger program, used sparingly, both which barely use the CPU, and only use the HD for cache reading/writing.... certainly not the processor and HD intensive work of ripping a movie, or using a graphics intensive program)

HD - 52C
CPU - 46C
GPU - 60C
GPU Diode - 64C
GPU Heatsink - 59C
Ambient - 28C
Memory Controller - 47C

----------

If these temperatures are within spec for such non-CPU and HD intensive work, then why does the top left of the iMac get so hot?

Also, I downloaded smcFanControl and upped the CPU and HD fan from 1200 to just over 1400 RPM, and it seems to be helping the temperatures a bit, but the top left of the computer still seems to be as hot.

Is keeping the fans running faster detrimental to the machine? Will they wear out sooner?

Should I worry about the heat on the top left, or does everyone else's iMac get that hot?

Thanks in advance!

Greg
QUOTE Thanks
goyin

goyin is on a distinguished road

Well, I personally don't know a lot about temperatures, but I've read many times that decreasing a CPUs temperature by 10 degrees Celcius, you are extending its lifespan by about 100% (i.e. if you used it ALL THE TIME at 70ºC it would last 20 years, whereas if the regular temperature was 60º it'd last 40). So, if you're interested in getting the thing to work for 10-15 years instead of 6-12, (assuming NOTHING ELSE fails) yeah, use smcFanControl like some of us do.
QUOTE Thanks
Alexis

Alexis is a jewel in the roughAlexis is a jewel in the roughAlexis is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
If these temperatures are within spec for such non-CPU and HD intensive work, then why does the top left of the iMac get so hot?

Also, I downloaded smcFanControl and upped the CPU and HD fan from 1200 to just over 1400 RPM, and it seems to be helping the temperatures a bit, but the top left of the computer still seems to be as hot.
The case is meant to get hot. It's disappating the heat, otherwise it would remain inside the machine. Worrying that the case is hot is like worrying that your car engine is hot to the touch.

The fans are designed to spin around! Sorry to bring in another car analogy, but worrying about the fans is like worrying that your windscreen wipers won't last if you live in a wet climate!
QUOTE Thanks
GregoriusM

GregoriusM is on a distinguished road

Thanks! The iMac is running just fine with the temps recorded above.

Yes, the heat is dissipating where it should be, and the fans are working just like wiper blades, so all is good!

QUOTE Thanks
Alexis

I'm playing Crysis on Windows XP and the top of the case gets so hot you can't hold your hand there for more than a couple of seconds.

It's as happy as larry though!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Dead-da-dead-dead... | iMac G3 screen Problem !U! »