New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

Power Mac - ATI Radeon X800 XT replacement

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

coalitionguy

coalitionguy is on a distinguished road

I have a Powermac G5 dual 2.0 processor with the original video card it shipped with. I recently decided that I deserve an upgrade from the 64Mb VRAM currently on the card. I shopped around and decided the ATI Radeon X800 XT was my best bet. Although I am able to find it for sale on a few sites, many list the card as discontinued. Does anyone have any idea if it ATI is replacing it with some other card. I'm sure that the X800 XT will probably work just fine for the remainder of my Powermac's life, but just the same, the idea of buying something that is already discontinued/outdated (and therefore likely no longer supported) just does not apeal to me. Any thoughts?
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

The X800 XT & XL is (were) very good cards when introduced.
Have only had a Mac for little under a year, but am using that card in my Win desktop machine and have no issues with it.

The X800 XT is the last (and best) in the lineup of retail AGP cards for Mac's.
There were some shipped overclocked, but you probably will not find it except as used. The regular X800 XT will be the one that you should still be able to find new in the box. For AGP, there really is no other option, unless you step down to even older cards.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
coalitionguy

coalitionguy is on a distinguished road

So ATI, or anyone else for that matter, is not putting out anything new and inproved for the Mac? Not sure why, but I had a feeling that's what happened. Not a major issue though. If I can get my hands on a new X800 XT, I'm sure that it will more do than satisfy me. Thanks for your quick response.
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Even on the win platform, the x800 was billed as the last AGP.
In the end, there were some more after that, but all the new cards now are pretty much PCI Express.

And you know, Mac's just didn't get much lovin' from the hardware manufacturers at large.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
sevenhelmet

sevenhelmet is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Aluminum Macbook 2.4Ghz; Powermac G5 2.3Ghz dual

Yep, I can confirm that. Everything after the X800 was PCI express, because the April 2005 Powermacs were the last to have AGP. The X800 cost $500 back then, but it's been worth it since it's still an awesome card.

"Luck favors the prepared"
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Hot Chocolate on the new keyboard | RAM upgrade in iMac g5 »