New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

Power Mac - MDD vs. Sawtooth?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

shelflife19

shelflife19 has a little shameless behaviour in the past

ok so i'v spent around $360 so far upgrading a sawtooth g4 i got off ebay, after i buy the more powerfull video card(256mb vs 16mb) and add another gig of ram, i will have put roughly around 500-600 dollars in it including the ammount i paid for the mac itself. now it has a 1.7ghz g4, 2gb ram(or will have 2gb), will have the 256mb video card, sata controller, pci usb hub, dvd burner, 2 80gb hard drives 2 250gb hard drives that i had in my pc, external usb hub. Just to say i got the sata controller, and pci usb hub because i needed sata and the computer doesn't have usb2.0.
Would it have been better to just buy a MDD dual 1ghz g4 with 1 gig of ram, dvd burner, 64mb video card, 120gb hard drive for about the same price as what i have put into the sawtooth, i kinda feel like i made a dumb mistake.
QUOTE Thanks
ronss

ronss is on a distinguished road

okay, i quess i would not have bought a sawtooth g4 in the first place,, for one thing,,it uses sdram,,which is pretty slow by todays stanards...

i just bought 3 apples powermacs in the last month, and finally satisfied with my dual 867 mmd i just bought off ebay..a quy in minnesota is selling them, and it works great.. he is still selling the dual 867 in the $300 + range... i saw one on there today...i had a g3,,,lasted 3 days and sold it,,painfully slow,,,got a quicksilver 2002, 800mhz,,,,its better than the g3,,,but sort of slow too....then i got the dual mmd 867, with a nvidia 32mg 4x card,,,1gb,,, and its a lot faster than the other two...very happy with it...got a 9800 pro coming,,,it should be a nice upgrade... i can live with the mmd dual 867,,,sort of wanted the dual 1.25 or 1.4,,but you pay for em...i was looking at the $300-400 range......i was looking at a new imac at bestbuy,,and was thinking,...hey-this does not seem much faster than my mmd daul 867...so here you have it from someone that has had 3 powermacs in the last month...also,,have put lepord on my mmd dual 867,,,and works great..
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Screen goes dark, then off | G4 doesn't see mouse/keyboard after trying to add USB wireless »