New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

iMac - Freezing iMac problem solved! Maybe...

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Cherokee

Cherokee is a jewel in the roughCherokee is a jewel in the rough

I'm just curious as to whether or not the new firmware update has solved the freezing problems.

Obviously it's available via software update.

Please post your results.

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=307008

Quote:
This update is for 20-inch and 24-inch aluminum iMac computers with the ATI Radeon HD 2600 PRO graphics processor, running Mac OS X 10.4.10 with iMac Software Update 1.2.1 for Tiger, or Mac OS X 10.5 with iMac Software Update 1.3 for Leopard.

It updates the graphics firmware on the ATI Radeon HD 2600 PRO card to address issues that may have caused the computer to freeze.

Not every 20-inch and 24-inch aluminum iMac computer requires this update. If you are not automatically presented with this update, your computer does not need it.

If you manually download this update and attempt to install it on an ineligible computer, you will receive an error message.

If you manually download the update and receive the following error message when selecting a volume, "You cannot install iMac Graphics Firmware Update on this volume. Your computer does not need this update," one of two conditions exist:
You have not installed the iMac Software Update 1.2.1 for Tiger or iMac Software Update 1.3 for Leopard. From the Apple menu, select Software Update and install the appropriate software update, and then reinstall iMac Graphics Firmware Update 1.0.

You have already installed this update.

iMac - 2.4 C2D - 4GB RAM | MacBook - 2.0 C2D - 2GB RAM | AirPort Extreme Base Station
QUOTE Thanks
Stretch

Stretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD

It turns out my iMac isn't one of the ones that needed it.

Blog and Photo Gallery: http://philolin.me/

Currently running OS X 10.10
QUOTE Thanks
trancedoutdav

trancedoutdav is on a distinguished road

Hi there!

I'm new to Mac Forums and have just bought myself an Aluminum iMac from the Sheffield, Meadowhall Branch in the UK. So hello to everyone here!

Sheffield is really far from where we live so we travelled down yesterday to buy it. Got it home, it didn't come with Leopard pre-installed so we had to use the 'drop-in' disc it came with. Upgraded to Leopard and then updated all the software. Throughout the day of using the iMac, I had to hard reset the machine (hold the power button in) as the machine constantly locked up. The mouse and keyboard would stop working and sometimes the screen would change colour and/or go off but not completely.

I called Apple and they asked me to go to the shop for a replacement. I wasn't happy as we had only had the machine less than 24 hours. What a disappointment. I agreed and travelled back down to Sheffield this evening and they provided me with a brand new machine.

I've been home around 5 hours and managed to install Leopard using the 'drop in' CD once again and now the updates are nearly complete. I'm hoping and although not religious in the slightest, I am praying that once I restart I get to use this beautiful machine without the constant locking up and having to ask myself the question 'why did I get a mac'. But let's not be negative!

I've read throughout so many posts of the problems people are having. According to Apple and many others, they are awaiting a fix! So I guess we have to just sit around. I've just posted on here to discuss the matter a bit further as everyone has paid out money for the machines and I do understand that new software can always have glitches here and there etc.

Just thought I'd post and say hi and get some more information on what's happening with people and there new iMacs

Thanks

20" Alum iMac, 3GB RAM, 320GB HDD
QUOTE Thanks
Cherokee

Cherokee is a jewel in the roughCherokee is a jewel in the rough

I was at Best Buy last weekend to check out the iMac. I am looking to purchase one before the year's end. The 24" model they had on display had all of the freezing symptoms that everyone is describing. I couldn't believe that the "Apple sales team" didn't switch it out for one that worked properly.

The 20" base model seemed to be working fine in the few minutes I messed with it.

iMac - 2.4 C2D - 4GB RAM | MacBook - 2.0 C2D - 2GB RAM | AirPort Extreme Base Station
QUOTE Thanks
MacHeadCase

Quote:
Originally Posted by trancedoutdav View Post
Hi there!

I'm new to Mac Forums and have just bought myself an Aluminum iMac from the Sheffield, Meadowhall Branch in the UK. So hello to everyone here!

Sheffield is really far from where we live so we travelled down yesterday to buy it. Got it home, it didn't come with Leopard pre-installed so we had to use the 'drop-in' disc it came with. Upgraded to Leopard and then updated all the software. Throughout the day of using the iMac, I had to hard reset the machine (hold the power button in) as the machine constantly locked up. The mouse and keyboard would stop working and sometimes the screen would change colour and/or go off but not completely.

I called Apple and they asked me to go to the shop for a replacement. I wasn't happy as we had only had the machine less than 24 hours. What a disappointment. I agreed and travelled back down to Sheffield this evening and they provided me with a brand new machine.

I've been home around 5 hours and managed to install Leopard using the 'drop in' CD once again and now the updates are nearly complete. I'm hoping and although not religious in the slightest, I am praying that once I restart I get to use this beautiful machine without the constant locking up and having to ask myself the question 'why did I get a mac'. But let's not be negative!

I've read throughout so many posts of the problems people are having. According to Apple and many others, they are awaiting a fix! So I guess we have to just sit around. I've just posted on here to discuss the matter a bit further as everyone has paid out money for the machines and I do understand that new software can always have glitches here and there etc.

Just thought I'd post and say hi and get some more information on what's happening with people and there new iMacs

Thanks

20" Alum iMac, 3GB RAM, 320GB HDD
Welcome to Mac-Forums, trancedoutdav.

You've come to the right place, I think that you'll see plenty of info in the various threads posted in M-F. If a search does not give you answers to your questions, just post away in the proper forum and we'll give it our best shot to help you out.
QUOTE Thanks
Spartan

Spartan is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 24inch IMac 3.06Ghz 2Gb, 15inch MacBookPro 2.33Ghz 2Gb

well as the top say it i think my problem is solved or just beginning. my imac also as that problem freezing and i was told buy a mac genius. not that any of you could not have helped me out. he said its your ram... oh
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« changing graphic card | What mac is best for me »