New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

iMac - Quick question

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

jsm

jsm is on a distinguished road

I have looked everywhere and cannot find an answer.

I recently bought an intel imac (white). I have used PC all my life so it was a fairly big change. My question was whether or not you can upgrade the processor and/or motherboard in an imac. I have a 2.16 intel core 2 duo.

The reason I'm asking is because my imac has a 667 bus speed and the new ones have an 800. Not to mention 3 GHZ processor

Thanks
jsm
QUOTE Thanks
Airborneforest

Airborneforest is an unknown at this point

You can't replace the processor or the motherboard in an iMac. I believe that they are all soldered together so you have to buy a brand new one to change those components.

You'll notice little performance difference from what you got and the new Alum iMac's. Those are minor differences, so don't worry about it!

Have fun with your new iMac!
QUOTE Thanks
iLLuZioN

iLLuZioN is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac 7.1, 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, OSX 10.5

Close to the subject so just thought I would ask, it seems as if I have the same iMac, how about upgrading the RAM?
QUOTE Thanks
Mattlike

Mattlike is just really niceMattlike is just really niceMattlike is just really niceMattlike is just really niceMattlike is just really nice
Mac Specs: Unibody MBP 2.4 GHz C2D/27" Core i7 iMac

Quote:
Originally Posted by iLLuZioN View Post
Close to the subject so just thought I would ask, it seems as if I have the same iMac, how about upgrading the RAM?
Yes, you can upgrade the RAM. However, the amount is dependent on your model and how much you may currently have installed.
QUOTE Thanks
kuchiki

kuchiki has a spectacular aura about

I think unless you get the Mac pro where you can customize the hardware pretty freely...you basically only can upgrade the HD and the RAMs in Macs without a lot of fiddeling around.
however, when I see leopard I honestly think that is more than enough since unlike Vista, leopard seems to even be faster than tiger on my macbook and if all OS updates are like this I believe I won't need to purchase a new mac till 2010 when my applecare runs out (unless of course I get infected by the mac virus and start purchasing more macs

My newly created blog: reviews, sites, giveaways and more! Home of iMountIt
www.daysofourmacbooks.blogspot.com
QUOTE Thanks
theonegod

theonegod has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 24" 2.8ghz IMAC, MB Pro

What imac has 3.0ghz? 2.8 is the max at the moment. Also, you will not likely notice the difference between the 667 and 800 buss speeds. The Aluminum Imacs are more pretty but otherwise you don't have a bad machine.

Then again I love my 24" 2.8ghz Alum Imac and couldn't imagine going with anything slower
QUOTE Thanks
WakeCarver

WakeCarver is a jewel in the roughWakeCarver is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 24" iMac 3.06GHz 8GB of RAM 2TB HDD, 13" Aluminum MacBook 2.0GHz 4GB of RAM 500GB HDD

Regardless of the FSB speed the RAM still runs at 667mhz which effectively bottlenecks the computer at that point. It doesn't really matter though Both the white and Aluminum iMacs run great so just enjoy what you have.

"I call this the Greatest Zooks Album." -CEREAL KILLER
QUOTE Thanks
jsm

jsm is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the reply's. My main reason for asking is if they're even capable of being upgraded down the road. Like when 4GHZ comes out... the reason I ask now is due to me going to install vista through bootcamp. My computer is plenty fast now, has 2GB ram and the specs earlier. I was just wondering about down the road and running Vista. When I bought the computer I made sure to get the GeForce 7600 GT since I knew I wasn't going to be able to upgrade that. But again, thanks for the replys
QUOTE Thanks
kuchiki

kuchiki has a spectacular aura about

vista should run more than fine on your machine...
even though vista needs better hardware than xp it's not that hardware hungry...
I mean it runs flawlessly on my MB (2ghz C2D, 1GB).
you don't have to worry about a new windows coming out soon either.
sure unless you want to play the newest games...then you would need better hardware eventually but then Macs just aren't made for gaming...

My newly created blog: reviews, sites, giveaways and more! Home of iMountIt
www.daysofourmacbooks.blogspot.com
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Two More Questions! | G4 Flat Screen Trouble »