New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

iMac - Getting a new imac Tuesday, But had some questions

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

cooljoe815

cooljoe815 is an unknown at this point

1. what is the best way to transfer some data from Pc to my new Imac, including my address book?

I did not want an old Imac with Tiger to be upgraded to Leopard, so when I ordered it online, they said they will build it with Leopard pre-installed.

2. Is there a way for me to confirm this?

My PC has a trojan ,
3. Will the data I transfer be infected? Should I even take a chance? I can print my address book and put the emails manually and any documents are I deemed necessary I can print and make a hard copy.

And I have my wife and a teenage daugther,

4. Should I set it up for 3 names, my wife thinks is not a big issue to just for all of us to go in.
It makes a little sense to me for all of us to have different desktops.

Last,I have itunes in my Pc,

5.Is there an easy way to get authorization on my new Imac?
QUOTE Thanks
WakeCarver

WakeCarver is a jewel in the roughWakeCarver is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 24" iMac 3.06GHz 8GB of RAM 2TB HDD, 13" Aluminum MacBook 2.0GHz 4GB of RAM 500GB HDD

1. I like using the local area network to transfer files

2. If it comes with Leopard restore DVD's instead of an upgrade disc then it most likely was built with Leopard.

3. Your data should be fine, the Trojan may get copied over but it will not affect your iMac. It is possible you could spread the infection to other pc's but that is unlikely.

4. Yes! I would even go so far as to make 4 accounts. Make 3 standard accounts, 1 for each of you, and have an administrator account for when you need to install software, do updates and the like.

5. Yes, just click store then click authorize computer from the iTunes menu on the new iMac.

Hope this helps and good luck!

"I call this the Greatest Zooks Album." -CEREAL KILLER
QUOTE Thanks
cooljoe815

cooljoe815 is an unknown at this point

thanks for taking the time to reply, perfect, I will try your suggestions. If any one has any other ideas, it will be much appreciated.
QUOTE Thanks
cowasaki

cowasaki is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Mac pro Quad Xeon; 15" Retina Macbook Pro; macbooks (family); Macbook pro 17"; intel & G4 iMacs.

To answer your address book question there are a number of methods - address book can import the following formats

vCArds
LDif
Textfile
Address book archive

It depends on which program you are using on your PC most will be able to output in one of the above methods to a file.

Just to backup what has been said the mac should be immune to any PC virus/trojan or other malware.

Experienced computer user, applications programmer and component level service engineer but came to the Apple platform with intro of intel!. Pro-photographer and director of electronics company.
QUOTE Thanks
bob@pflueger.co

bob@pflueger.co will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 24inch iMac

cooljoe - what you'll find is that the Apple platform is incredible! Good luck to you! Hope you and your family enjoy it. Let us know!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Need Ram: Dual 1 GHZ PowerPC G4 | New iMac Needs More RAM »