New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

iMac - Thinking of selling my mac...

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

presslee

presslee is an unknown at this point

I'm thinking of selling my imac 2.16 ghz intel core 2 duo, i gb memory, 20 inch screen. (anyone know the official tittle for this one?)

wondering if you guys could give me some guidance and advice (I have a list )

How would i go about transfering all my music and pictures if i was too buy a macbook?

How would i go about uninstalling everything and starting the computing from fresh too sell it. (refurb is it?)

Anyone care too guess how much i would get for it? All the info is above. it has bluetooth mouse and keyboard and is 10 months old. cost 1000 new.

Thanks in advance
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Lifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i3 (mid-2010) + OS 10.9; TV 3; iPhone 5S; iPad 4

To transfer your music and pictures, connect your iMac to the new computer using a firewire cable, then reboot the old iMac using "target disk mode". The simplest way to do that is to simply hold down the "T" key while rebooting until the Firewire icon appears on the iMac's display. Once done, you can browse your iMac like an external drive. Just copy and paste to your liking.

An alternative to the above is to connect the two computers together as above, then when setting up the new Mac, just follow the instructions to import user data from another computer (your iMac). As long as your music and all is in your user folder, it should all get copied along with other user files and prefs.

To uninstall everything on the iMac to sell it fresh, just boot from the OS install DVD by holding down the "C" key while rebooting. Once done, run "Disk Utility" from the menu and format the drive, then run the installer to put the OS back on it. Just don't set up a user account when done.

As for what you can get for it... that all depends on the condition, but I'd hazard a guess of £800 or so. Check eBay for comparable units to see what the going rate is.
QUOTE Thanks
louishen

louishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver

You can also use migration assistant in the Utilities folder to copy your home folder and settings to a new machine
QUOTE Thanks
presslee

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeisabeach View Post
To transfer your music and pictures, connect your iMac to the new computer using a firewire cable, then reboot the old iMac using "target disk mode". The simplest way to do that is to simply hold down the "T" key while rebooting until the Firewire icon appears on the iMac's display. Once done, you can browse your iMac like an external drive. Just copy and paste to your liking.

An alternative to the above is to connect the two computers together as above, then when setting up the new Mac, just follow the instructions to import user data from another computer (your iMac). As long as your music and all is in your user folder, it should all get copied along with other user files and prefs.

To uninstall everything on the iMac to sell it fresh, just boot from the OS install DVD by holding down the "C" key while rebooting. Once done, run "Disk Utility" from the menu and format the drive, then run the installer to put the OS back on it. Just don't set up a user account when done.

As for what you can get for it... that all depends on the condition, but I'd hazard a guess of 800 or so. Check eBay for comparable units to see what the going rate is.
ok that all sounds a bit beyond me but i will give it my best shot haha. Thanks for the great advice.
As for the OS install dvd, i'm not certain i know where it is, they easy to get hold of?
QUOTE Thanks
presslee

Also i'm thinking of getting a macbook, anyone know if any re-styles or upgrades are due? or even when a sale might be on?
QUOTE Thanks
louishen

louishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver

look in the rumours section for a thread on the possible new macbook

but nit is all guesswork
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Apple not recognizing my serial number? | Which speakers for MacPro »