New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

iMac - Concern about iMac freezing

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

markw10

markw10 is an unknown at this point

I want to purchase one of the new aluminum imacs but am concerned about this freezing issue.

I want to go with the 20" imac. Is this problem with both 20" and 24" or just 24"?

Also, I originally figured it was a driver issue but am now hearing it's a hardware issue. I've heard about some people taking it in for repair and getting a new graphics chipset. Has this been confirmed? I'd at least feel better hoping a new imac would have this newer chipset.

For freezeups is this being only experienced with older 'new generation' imacs or is this also being seen with the latest purchases? When I buy I plan to go with refurbished. I'm hoping with refurbished they would be updated to any new graphics chips.
QUOTE Thanks
casey

casey is on a distinguished road

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles..._software.html
QUOTE Thanks
mac57

mac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, 256 GB SSD, 2 TB HDD, 8 GB RAM

For those who don't like clicking links that have no explanatory text around them (we are conditioned after all to think that these could be links to malware sites), the story reports that the issue may not be software, but rather hardware, and very specifically, heat.

This would be very bad if it is the case. With an all-in-one closed case, heat is a real factor to work with. Excessive heat build up will cause any machine to freeze up, as those of us who build our own PCs know all too well (contrasting use of "heat" and "freeze" in the same sentence to describe the same issue noted in advance!).

I would be a little worried about buying an iMac until this settles out and the true cause is known. Clearly this is not a systemic issue, or ALL iMac owners would be reporting it, but clearly, this is an issue with SOME of them.

Stay tuned and watch this issue carefully. I am sure a solution will be found in the near future.

My Macs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, Mac Pro 3.2 GHz, PowerMac G5 Quad 2.5 GHz, G4 Cube with 1.2 GHz Upgrade
My iStuff: 64GB iPhone 5, 64GB iPad4, 30GB iPod Video, 16GB iPod Touch
My OS': Mac OS X Lion, Mac OS X Snow Leopard, Mac OS X Tiger, Mac OS 9.2.2, openSUSE 10.3
I was on the Mac-Forums honor roll for September 2007
QUOTE Thanks
Stretch

Stretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD

I must be one of the lucky ones, as I've had no issues with mine thus far. But I think I might pick up Applecare for it just to be safe.

Blog and Photo Gallery: http://philolin.me/

Currently running OS X 10.10
QUOTE Thanks
aj84

aj84 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Imac 20", 2.16GHz,2Gb Ram, 256MB Graphic card. 80Gig Ipod

I dont think any of the minis are having any problems. I think anything with at ATI Radeon HD 2600 PRO is having issues
QUOTE Thanks
silverloop13

silverloop13 is on a distinguished road

I had the freeze issue with my 20". I had it 20 days before I went back tot he store and told them flat out I wanted a new machine. They were great. I was in and out in less than 20 minutes. The new mac works great and Im really happy with it.

So yeah get one. If you get the freeze take it back and get another one.
QUOTE Thanks
theonegod

theonegod has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 24" 2.8ghz IMAC, MB Pro

It is not a heat issue. Just faulty hardware. The machines that freeze can do so under the right conditions within seconds of turning on or an hour. It only affects a tiny number of imacs though so just go buy one. If it freezes take it back. Chances are you wont get one that does and if you do it should be next to impossible for you to get a second one that does given the low rate of it happening.
QUOTE Thanks
Alexis

Alexis is a jewel in the roughAlexis is a jewel in the roughAlexis is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo

Quote:
I think anything with at ATI Radeon HD 2600 PRO is having issues
Except mine! It's been working flawlessly since August 7th.
QUOTE Thanks
theonegod

theonegod has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 24" 2.8ghz IMAC, MB Pro

Anything with a radion 2600 is NOT having issues. that wording makes it sound like they all have issues. It is just that the only models that DO have this issue are models that use that video card. Seems there was a manufacturing issue on that card on some small percentage of them.
QUOTE Thanks
aj84

aj84 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Imac 20", 2.16GHz,2Gb Ram, 256MB Graphic card. 80Gig Ipod

"Anything with a radion 2600 is NOT having issues. that wording makes it sound like they all have issues. It is just that the only models that DO have this issue are models that use that video card. Seems there was a manufacturing issue on that card on some small percentage of them."

yes, I'm sorry!! that is what i wanted to say,
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Agp Graphics & Mirror Door G4's | Mac Pro won't go to sleep automatically »