New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

iMac - Hot Chocolate on the new keyboard

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

PACPhD

PACPhD is on a distinguished road

My wife called and let me know the cat decided to put his paw in the cup of hot chocolate and tip it over onto the new wireless keyboard I got with my one month old iMac 24. It is the new really small keyboard. The right shift and right curser key have a little sticking to them (could be worse). Do the keys come off? Any suggestions for cleaning them?

The cat will be going up for sale on EBay.
QUOTE Thanks
bphoenix

bphoenix is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro 15" 2.2/120gb/2gb Santa Rosa - 20" Aluminum Apple Cinema Display

It should come apart as do all apple products, but im not to sure on that one
QUOTE Thanks
RiDE

RiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: Mac's

<Bites tongue>

Nevermind.
QUOTE Thanks
mac57

mac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, 256 GB SSD, 2 TB HDD, 8 GB RAM

Be thankful that it was just a keyboard that "got it" I suppose. Pets are a constant menace around computer equipment. A keyboard, happily, is a low cost item that is easily replaced. I know that this does not solve your problem, but consider if said same cat had done this to your iPhone or your iPod Touch and suddenly they didn't work anymore. Entirely different and more significant a problem!!

My Macs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, Mac Pro 3.2 GHz, PowerMac G5 Quad 2.5 GHz, G4 Cube with 1.2 GHz Upgrade
My iStuff: 64GB iPhone 5, 64GB iPad4, 30GB iPod Video, 16GB iPod Touch
My OS': Mac OS X Lion, Mac OS X Snow Leopard, Mac OS X Tiger, Mac OS 9.2.2, openSUSE 10.3
I was on the Mac-Forums honor roll for September 2007
QUOTE Thanks
sevenhelmet

sevenhelmet is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Aluminum Macbook 2.4Ghz; Powermac G5 2.3Ghz dual

OOH IT'S GOOEY CHOCOLATE happens...

2.5 years out of my Power Mac and I'm on my 3rd keyboard

"Luck favors the prepared"
QUOTE Thanks
PinkLemonade

PinkLemonade has a spectacular aura about

I've heard throwing them in the dishwasher/washing machine (can't remember which) Sometimes solves the stickiness, but it's not guaranteed that it will work afterwards.
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

It's best not to have a drink like that near a keyboard. Even if the Cat did not try to get to the drink, one accidental bump if you have your mind on something else and the drink can so easily end up on the keyboard. I am very careful have bumped say a Pepsi and got it on my keyboard. Keep the drinks away! Words of Wisdom from MUCH experience!!
QUOTE Thanks
JerrfyLube

JerrfyLube is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MBP 2.4 Santa Rosa

Im not sure if those keys come off or not...take a small flathead screwdriver or other small tool and CAREFULLY and GENTLY try prying one off...dont force it...if it doesnt come off fairly easily, its probably not going to no matter how much you pry without breaking something. If it does, take a qtip and some isoproyl alcohol and clean off any gunk thats down in there and it should alleviate any sticking.

I spilled half a can of Dr Pepper on my older wireless keyboard and most of the keys on the lower half stuck pretty good. A good cleaning with the above method and some compressed air and it was working again just fine.
QUOTE Thanks
WakeCarver

WakeCarver is a jewel in the roughWakeCarver is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 24" iMac 3.06GHz 8GB of RAM 2TB HDD, 13" Aluminum MacBook 2.0GHz 4GB of RAM 500GB HDD

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkLemonade View Post
I've heard throwing them in the dishwasher/washing machine (can't remember which) Sometimes solves the stickiness, but it's not guaranteed that it will work afterwards.
I put my wired keyboard in the dishwasher after spilling beer on it. It still works fine but I would not recommend this with a bluetooth keyboard because I do not think it would work afterwards. I think the best solution would be to take the batteries out of it and wipe it down really good with a damp wash cloth. After you are sure it is dry put the batteries back in and give it a try. If you do decide to go the dishwasher route make sure you take the batteries out and don't put them back in until you are sure it is dry, turn off the heated dry on the dishwasher, and don't use soap. Good luck.

"I call this the Greatest Zooks Album." -CEREAL KILLER
QUOTE Thanks
cowasaki

cowasaki is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Mac pro Quad Xeon; 15" Retina Macbook Pro; macbooks (family); Macbook pro 17"; intel & G4 iMacs.

Your best bet is to take it to pieces completely and clean each and every individual part using cotton buds and clean water (for the membrane) or isopropyl alcohol for the other parts. If you stick it in the dish washer it is unlikely to ever work again! This way it is most likely to work. My missus just spilled a drink into BOTH my Apple keyboard at the same time and after this process they were both working and like new!!

Experienced computer user, applications programmer and component level service engineer but came to the Apple platform with intro of intel!. Pro-photographer and director of electronics company.
QUOTE Thanks
shelflife19

shelflife19 has a little shameless behaviour in the past

i dont know about the new keyboards, but i do know most keyboards in general you can take apart, if you can get the keyboard completly apart, take out all the electrical stuff and you can either stick the top part with the keys are at in the dishwasher or filled your bathtub up with water enough to submerb the keyboard and let it sit for a few hours then just kinda move it around int he water enough to get all the sticky stuff off, once thats done just let it sit for a while to dry off or stick it in the sun. either option works like a charm but im not sure about the bluetooth part and if your willing to take it apart, your choice.
QUOTE Thanks
Weird Fish

Weird Fish will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 15" Matte 2.33 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM

That kind of damage isn't covered by Mac-Insurance, is it?

I remember reading something a while back (possibly on Amazon) about someone spilling coffee on their keyboard, and it wasn't covered because it was the persons fault.
QUOTE Thanks
ronss

ronss is on a distinguished road

one thing ,,,don,t use tab water,,use distilled water,,, tad water will leave a residue...keyboards are tough to get clean after something like that happens..the sticky on the contacts,,very hard to clean... most folks will tell ya to just replace it....

i have read that some use a small screw driver, and pop off the keys..clean them and put em back together

i too have read the dishwasher procedure,,,but be careful what ya read on the internet.....i would not do it../

not sure if these procedures will work,,but what do you have to loose.
QUOTE Thanks
SIDTURBO

SIDTURBO is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 24" IMAC ALU, 2.8GHZ, 4GB ram, 750gb HD, Leopard OSX.

i would just hose it under a hot tap and thoroughly rinse it......

The secret is to make sure it is COMPLETELY dry before you use it again.... stand it upside down.... keys down and on a 45% degree angle thus ensuring gravity takes a grip on all that moisture.

I have done this before on four other keyboards.... no problems....

It's up to you but I wouldn't hesitate..... just be absolutely sure it has time to dry out completely.
QUOTE Thanks
baggss

baggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 18.8.2-64Gb iPad 2-32 Gb iPhone 5-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage

MAC Sux!

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« sawtooth with dual cpu | ATI Radeon X800 XT replacement »