New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

Power Mac - Dual 1.8 GB G5 --- OR --- NEW iMac??

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

tommytime

tommytime is on a distinguished road

I'v had my G5 for years now, I'm ready to upgrade but again don't want to drop 4k on a new system....... I was at CompUSA yesterday and was blown away by the new 24" iMacs..... but I don't know if I would be doing myself any favors...... here are the specs:

(My current G5
Dual 1.8 Ghz PowerPC G5 (tower)
9 GB Memory

iMac:
Intel Core Duo 2 Processor, 2.4GHz, 1GB RAM, 320GB Hard Drive, 8X DVD+/-RW SuperDrive

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
QUOTE Thanks
Geeky1

Geeky1 is a jewel in the roughGeeky1 is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: See Sig...

Depending on what you do with the computer, you might miss the extra RAM. But the CPU on the iMac is significantly faster than the G5s.

I'd say that the iMac is a worthwhile upgrade-if you put 4GB of RAM in it after you buy it-over the iMac, and as long as you don't need more than 4GB of RAM.

MCCCXXXVII
Notebook RAM Buyer's Guide- How much, what type, what brand, where to buy, etc.
MBP: 17" WUXGA/2.4/4GB/160GB 7.2K
G4: Heavily modified Dual 533 DA
QUOTE Thanks
Zoolook

Zoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 15" MacBook Pro, i7 2.66Ghz, 8GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 5

I agree with above, the RAM will be missed. Not sure why you have 9GB of RAM now but if you're using it for HD content for example, the HDD swapping you'll get on the new system will kill performance.

I would suggest a Mac Pro. I assume you have a decent screen?

In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is stoned to death.
- Joan D. Vinge

QUOTE Thanks
bryphotoguy

bryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nice
Mac Specs: Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoolook View Post
I agree with above, the RAM will be missed. Not sure why you have 9GB of RAM now but if you're using it for HD content for example, the HDD swapping you'll get on the new system will kill performance.

I would suggest a Mac Pro. I assume you have a decent screen?
Agreed. The Quad 2GHz is $2200 compared to $1800 of the 24" iMac.

January 2008 Member of the Month
QUOTE Thanks
tommytime

tommytime is on a distinguished road

I appreciate all your feedback guys.

To answer your questions; I use the G5 for graphics and (light) video editing. (Flash, Photoshop, Illustrator, Final Cut Pro, etc.)......

bad idea to go with the iMac??

T
QUOTE Thanks
rman

rman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 2 x 3.0GHz Quad-Core, 6GB OS X 10.6.8 | 15in MacBook Pro 2.2GHz OS X 10.6.8 | 64GB iPad 2 WiFi

I would look at a Mac Pro also since, you have a monitor and keyboard already.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, It's about learning to dance in the rain!
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.10.1, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

As long as everything you do will work smoothly with 4GB RAM (Which is should with no issues), the iMac will toast the Dual 1.8 G5 if you use all Universal Applications or native Intel Apps.

But then there is the Monitor issue. The 24" iMac has a very good display but like others have said for color accuracy you might be better off with the Cinema Display than the 20" from a lot I have read.

If that is the case, pay a little more and get a Mac Pro. Then you will have the best of both worlds, Intel Speed and compatibility with all modern applications and a more accurate display for your work.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Won't boot except on 66Mhz harddrive controller! New motherboard? | Chris »