New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

Power Mac - cpu upgrade questions

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

cwilliamson

cwilliamson is on a distinguished road

I have a g4 sawtooth, 576mb ram, standard 16mb video card, 400mhz g4, was just curious what is the equilivent of a 400mhz g4? P2 400mhz? p3 400mhz or is the mhz completly different than intel? meaning a g4 400mhz is actually like a 800mhz p3 or something like that.

Also if i buy a dual g4 500mhz that came out of a gigbit ethernet mac can i install that in my sawtooth with out a problem? When you do install a processor is it just a matter of unhooking a few connectors and taking out a few screws and then installing the new cpu? or do i have to get into the hole soldering process?

Last question....am i able to take a quicksilver or GB logic board and install it in my sawtooth with out a problem, i was kinda hoping to get a updated lobo with a better agp slot. Thanks for reading.
QUOTE Thanks
cwilliamson

bump

bump
QUOTE Thanks
louishen

louishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver

there is a site called xlr8yourmac

You should find any info you need on there

xlr8yourmac.com
QUOTE Thanks
Geeky1

Geeky1 is a jewel in the roughGeeky1 is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: See Sig...

The G4 is not directly comparable to an x86 CPU, the architecture is different. Generally speaking, it seems to be equivalent to an equally-clocked P3, but as I said, it's not an x86 processor, and it's running on completely different chipset and O/S so it's very difficult to assess the performance of the CPU itself relative to an x86 processor like what is found in virtually all Windows boxes.

And no, you can't drop any dual CPU card in that machine, at least not easily. You'll have to desolder the CD-ROM IDE port and use a PCI IDE card. Just about the only CPU upgrade you're going to get for that machine that's practical is going to be a 3rd party card.

The Gig-E board wouldn't necessarily be a worthwhile upgrade. A QS or DA board would, but those are unlikely to be a drop-in fit. They also have different power supply requirements and you'll have to figure out how to heatsink the chipset, which is mounted on the back of the board. And that's not going to be easy unless you have access to a machine shop or are very good with working aluminum, because you'll need to accurately shape a little heatspreader to sandwich between the chip and the case, using the EMI shield on the side panel as a heatsink. I don't know why you're looking to upgrade just for the AGP slot, though... a Radeon 9800 will work in a 2x slot.

In short, all of what you're asking can be done, but unless you've got a lot of experience doing serious modifications to PCs, you probably won't find it very easy to do.

MCCCXXXVII
Notebook RAM Buyer's Guide- How much, what type, what brand, where to buy, etc.
MBP: 17" WUXGA/2.4/4GB/160GB 7.2K
G4: Heavily modified Dual 533 DA
QUOTE Thanks
cwilliamson

i think i will just wait for a 3rd party chip on ebay along with that graphics card
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Converting DVI to ADC | Will mini go Santa Rosa? »