New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

iMac - Do you still have any freezing issues after the update?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

tacsniper

tacsniper is an unknown at this point

So Apple have release an update for the iMac regarding the freezing issue... do you still have any freezing issues after installing the update? So far I haven't have any issues YET.
QUOTE Thanks
silverloop13

silverloop13 is on a distinguished road

My iMac freezes at least 2 times a day. I have to restart it every time. This is my first Mac and Ive had it for 2 weeks. I want to love it I really do, but the screen freeze is just annoying.

I went to the update link and it said I was updated so I guess it didnt fix anything.

I tried to call tech support but I could barely understand him. Worse he would tell my to restart my Mac and Id hit the button and then hed say " but before you do that ". After 30 minutes of him I just hung up. If it keeps up Ill just go to the Apple Store and see if the genius can help me.
QUOTE Thanks
mac_yrons

mac_yrons is on a distinguished road

i have the same problem. i have to restart my iMac every day several times! it drives me crazy..not sure if its cause of software ive installed or its because of the issue.. heeeeeeeeeelp!!!!!
QUOTE Thanks
silverloop13

Im taking it to the Apple Store tomorrow. Hopefully they can resolve the issue. I really want to love my Mac but Im having some issues with it that make me wonder if I made a mistake.

1. I was told that my camcorder would work and it would be easy. I have a sony handycam and it doesnt work with the mac. With a small child I was really looking forward to using iMovie and such.

2. The screen freeze. Not acceptable.

3. Tech support over the phone sucks. I mean its HORRIBLE.
QUOTE Thanks
Stretch

Stretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD

I've had no problems with my iMac since I bought it on the 26th.

Blog and Photo Gallery: http://philolin.me/

Currently running OS X 10.10
QUOTE Thanks
NightSpektrum

NightSpektrum is on a distinguished road

The freezing got unbearable on mine so I brought it into the mac store where I got it, they said they replaced the logic board as it was faulty. Exactly 1 week later the freezing started again, I called and he said he had no idea and to bring it in again. I haven't had a chance but have just installed the update. I used to have a lot of artifacting on the screen now I have none. I won't know for a few more days about the freezing because it was so intermittent but all is looking good... fingers crossed!
QUOTE Thanks
theonegod

theonegod has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 24" 2.8ghz IMAC, MB Pro

IMac update 1.3 had nothing at all to do with freezes. That is just an assumption those waiting for a fix had.

The problem with your freezes is a hardware one. The drivers post Imac update 1.0 enable 3d content on your card that some cards will freeze trying to utilize. If it was a driver issue (bad drivers) all imacs would be affected. Take your mac back and get it replaced. That is the only way you will get this fixed. Alot of their ATI 2600 HD cards were faulty that got released. A software update will never fix this unless it disabled the 3D effects of the card and who would want that as a "fix"?

Before you take it in I would backup your data, then erase and install Leopard fresh with a blank user profile. Have it as clean as you can get it so the tech can't argue about 3rd party software with you or about software problems in general.

the best reliable way in leopard to get these to freeze is just to open preferences and goto the screen saver section. Try to view any 3d screen saver such as the word of the day and it will freeze right away.

Don't let them tell you they will give it a load test. A load test will not test or even use the 3d engine on that card and it wont freeze. Just have them try to change the screen saver and then they wont have any choice but to exchange it.
QUOTE Thanks
silverloop13

I downloaded the update this morning and since then have not had any freezes. I took my mac to the genius bar appt. and told him and he said it was fixed without looking at the Mac at all. They really are good.

He said the update fixed the issue. /shrug I hope hes right
QUOTE Thanks
casey

casey is on a distinguished road

Hang in there guys its a software issue Apple is still working on.
QUOTE Thanks
silverloop13

Ive been doing every thing I can to see if it will freeze up again and its not. So Im pretty happy
QUOTE Thanks
casey

casey is on a distinguished road

silverloop what version are you running? Did you do all of the updates?
QUOTE Thanks
silverloop13

Im running 10.4.10. Im still waiting on my OSX upgrade to arrive in the mail.
Im assuming I have done all the updates. I always click on the apple and select software updates.

This morning when I got up the Mac was in sleep mode and I have to restart it 2 times before I could do anything so I guess its not fixed.
QUOTE Thanks
mac_yrons

Quote:
Originally Posted by theonegod View Post
IMac update 1.3 had nothing at all to do with freezes. That is just an assumption those waiting for a fix had.

The problem with your freezes is a hardware one. The drivers post Imac update 1.0 enable 3d content on your card that some cards will freeze trying to utilize. If it was a driver issue (bad drivers) all imacs would be affected. Take your mac back and get it replaced. That is the only way you will get this fixed. Alot of their ATI 2600 HD cards were faulty that got released. A software update will never fix this unless it disabled the 3D effects of the card and who would want that as a "fix"?

Before you take it in I would backup your data, then erase and install Leopard fresh with a blank user profile. Have it as clean as you can get it so the tech can't argue about 3rd party software with you or about software problems in general.

the best reliable way in leopard to get these to freeze is just to open preferences and goto the screen saver section. Try to view any 3d screen saver such as the word of the day and it will freeze right away.

Don't let them tell you they will give it a load test. A load test will not test or even use the 3d engine on that card and it wont freeze. Just have them try to change the screen saver and then they wont have any choice but to exchange it.
well its not that easy in my case i think. im runnin 10.4.10 n it freezes in many different situations like starting movie, starting iphoto/itunes/photoshop or workin with above apps. its just crazy ive gone through all maintancy n nothing helps. today im goin to do format/install - lets see if it helps..

oh n one more question; i thought apple was about to realese the freeze update at the end of October. ive downloaded some updates n thought these are the one which were about to fix the problem.. so when well get the fixin update n is it software problem for sure??

thanxxxx
QUOTE Thanks
theonegod

theonegod has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 24" 2.8ghz IMAC, MB Pro

think about it. How could it possibly be a software problem if it is not affecting every Imac with this hardware configuration? The problem only appears to have the characteristics of a software problem because there is no freezing in Imac Update 1.0 and there is freezing in later updates. You need to go deeper then that though and look at what Imac update 1.1 did for the ATI drivers. In Update 1.0 the ATI drivers did not fully support 3d on the card. As a result no freezing. 1.1 and later more fully support the ATI cards 3d abilities. Now it freezes.

Do all Imacs with the ATI 2600 HD freeze? No. Do even a significant percentage? No. How could this then possibly be a software issue? It can't. Given what we know about the trigger for the freezing the only "software" fix is to cripple your video cards 3d. How is this a fix?

There is only one way to fix this. Exchange your imac under warranty or have them replace the defective hardware. The longer you wait to do this the more time you burn from your macs warranty.
QUOTE Thanks
mac_yrons

Quote:
Originally Posted by theonegod View Post
think about it. How could it possibly be a software problem if it is not affecting every Imac with this hardware configuration? The problem only appears to have the characteristics of a software problem because there is no freezing in Imac Update 1.0 and there is freezing in later updates. You need to go deeper then that though and look at what Imac update 1.1 did for the ATI drivers. In Update 1.0 the ATI drivers did not fully support 3d on the card. As a result no freezing. 1.1 and later more fully support the ATI cards 3d abilities. Now it freezes.

Do all Imacs with the ATI 2600 HD freeze? No. Do even a significant percentage? No. How could this then possibly be a software issue? It can't. Given what we know about the trigger for the freezing the only "software" fix is to cripple your video cards 3d. How is this a fix?

There is only one way to fix this. Exchange your imac under warranty or have them replace the defective hardware. The longer you wait to do this the more time you burn from your macs warranty.
sounds reasonably to me..thanx for advice..

how can i proof to them that it is hardware problem tho? i mean how can i proof that my imac freezes so often?? its even more dif as it freezes in many dif situations.. :/

should i call them first and explain problem?

advice highly appreciated!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Media Hard Drive/Formatting | Need Ram: Dual 1 GHZ PowerPC G4 »