New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

iMac - iMac G3

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Teh_Derek

Teh_Derek is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: C2D 2.0, 1GB Ram, 80GB HDD

I have a grey iMac G3, and when I turn it on, it beeps, and the screen stays blank but the power button blinks.

I haven't plugged a mouse or keyboard in, I assume a PC mouse and keyboard will work.

Thanks.
QUOTE Thanks
iMacKid500

iMacKid500 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iBook 300MHz 288mb RAM Mac OS X (Panther), iMac G3 500MHz (Panther), iMac G3 350MHz (Tiger), iPod

Welcome to the Forums!

Try reinstalling the OS btw: which OS are you running?

Then try this: (by Apple Doc): The power on self-test resides in the ROM of the computer. This test runs whenever the computer is turned on after being fully shut down (the power-on self-test does not run if the computer is only restarted).

If a fault is detected during the test, you will not hear a normal startup chime. Instead, the system will beep as explained below. If you experience one of these beeps, you may call your Apple Authorized Service Provider for additional troubleshooting assistance.

1 beep = no RAM installed
2 beeps = incompatible RAM types
3 beeps = no good banks
4 beeps = no good boot images in the boot ROM (and/or bad sys config block)
5 beeps = processor is not usable

In addition to the beeps, on some computers the power LED will flash a corresponding number of times plus one. The LED will repeat the sequence after approximately a 5-second pause. The tones are only played once.

Note: In this case, a flash is considered to be 1/4 second or 250 ms or greater in length.

Good Luck!!!

iMacKid500

iBook/iMacKid500
QUOTE Thanks
technologist

technologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)

http://lowendmac.com/macdan/02/0102mm.html

Google "imac analog board" for more.
QUOTE Thanks
Teh_Derek

Teh_Derek is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: C2D 2.0, 1GB Ram, 80GB HDD

Alright.
It wont boot up, it gives off 1 beep at the startup, I cant check if there is Ram in there or not, though, this was thrown away, so its possible that the Ram isn't there. I know what Ram looks like btw, I've built my own PC, so I know what I doing.

I'll see what I can find though.

Thanks.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Multiple (3) monitors??? | Mini HDD Size »